Cardio v.HIIT

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by umop apisdn, Nov 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. umop apisdn

umop apisdn What has 1000 tits and flies?

Hiya. My first F&N post ever! :run:

Anyways, I've taken up cardio about a month-and-a-half ago. I was about 220# then (I'm 6'2"), and decided to quit smoking and slowly replace it with a 30 minute jog 6 days a week, along with reducing calorie intake and 86'ing 99% of the junk food from my diet, as well as the whole, 8 glasses or more of water per day, etc.

I'm currently down to the 205-207 mark, but have stayed at that rate for around 1.5 weeks. I've been told that after an initial desirable weight loss amount, one's body "catches up" and plateaus for a bit. And the advice I've encountered to deal with this involved altering what you do, and the suggestion for me was interval jogging.

I previously jogged for roughly 25-30 mins at consistent rates between 4.5-5.5 mph on a slight incline, but decided to alternate 1 min-1 min between 4.0 and 5.0 at the suggestion of an article that I've read.

HOWEVER, upon talking to Formz, he suggested HIIT would be a better solution (see a proposed HIIT schedule at http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit_table.asp ). It appears as though it suggests 3 days worth per week.

My goal is to lose weight and get a slight tone - not to get jacked or anything. Should I do HIIT MWF and a normal jogging schedule between the days? And when I do the "normal" days, should I do interval or consistent?

Anyways, sorry if this is rambling... but if you're bored and have a few extra moments and/or pointers, I'd be much obliged. :)

:wavey:

2. umop apisdn

I'm not doing any weights, though you aren't the first person to suggest that. Looks like it might be time to man up and join a gym :noes:

Thanks for the input though; I'll have to check some local places round here.

3. SovietRussia

SovietRussia What? You pooped in the refrigerator? OT Supporter

before & after pics? I have been considering HIIT as well, but want to make sure i do it correctly to get the whole effect of it. also looking at joining a gym.

4. umop apisdn

No pics, sadly. I haven't done it yet. But it appears to be a good addition to one's workout schedule, from what I read. Though I think it should be supplemented with lifting. But I have NO idea what to do if I walked in a gym! :eek:

5. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

Your 1 min intervals could be better for various reasons. HIIT requires you to be in top shape. An easy way to see if you're in good sprinting shape is to time your 100m and 400m. Your 100m average over 400m should be within 3 seconds of your 100m time.

6. umop apisdn

I'm assuming the various reasons include faster rate and longer duration? :dunno: Like I said, I'm only 1.5 months/2 months in to it, coming from a recent history of 0 physical activity. I guess I just want to vary my routine a bit so that I'm still able to gradually lose a bit of the extra weight I've accumulated and tone up a smidge.

But I'll have to go and check my speeds.

If they're not up to par, should I even bother HIIT?

7. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

You can try but you'll probably want to die after 5 mins

8. umop apisdn

:noes:

The site that I cited (ha ha, homonyms) suggested starting at 4 minutes, 30sec-30sec, and adding 30 seconds every 2 workouts, and to workout 3x a week. Maybe increasing at a slower pace with 2 days of normal "jogging" between?

In any event, thanks for the heads up/advice :wavey:

9. umop apisdn

Workout buddies ftw :love:

I'd be good at squats :hsugh:

10. umop apisdn

:madfawk:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.