Cardio Twice a Day....good? bad? indifferent?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by 6SpeedTA95, Jan 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

Hey guys some of you may have seen my high BP thread. Well I've been doing cardio for about 6weeks for 25 mins or so in the morning. I'd also like to add another 15 mins or so of cardio at night. Is splitting it up going to be a problem?

2. DCyamaha

DCyamaha O-line found

no, but why not do 40 minutes in the morn??

3. Piracy

Piracy New Member

i do 30 minutes running/jogging in the morning and 30 at night, i don't really have the time to do it all in the morning and don't really feel like doing it all at night. i've been doing it for 2.5 months or so and haven't had any problems

4. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

No, not with our schedule, at least not right now. We have a new puppy and due to morning routines we can't leave him unattended for that long. I can usually squeak out about 10 or 15 mins before my wife is out of the shower, and the puppy is ok for 10 or 15 mins. Then my wife is in the living room while I finish up. Then she leaves for work...then when I get home I can hang out with the dog till she gets home, then hop on for another 15 mins get my heart rate up again for a solid 10 minutes or more of that.

5. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

Thats pretty much how it is with me, and I can't bring myself to get up any earlier than 6:30 even if the puppy could be left alone for a long time.

6. Elfling

Elfling New Member

If it works for you, it works :) Better to get it done however it works for you.

7. Killuminati

Killuminati New Member

Does the dog have a medical condition or something?? Just stick him out in the yard.

8. Urinal Mint

Urinal Mint bourbon afficionado

If you're concerned about time, consider 20 minutes of HIIT instead of longer sessions.

9. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

He's too little, he's 9 weeks old, so he can't be unsupervised for more than 10 or 15 minutes.

10. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

HIIT???

11. Urinal Mint

Urinal Mint bourbon afficionado

High Intensity Interval Training. Basically, you mix short periods of high-level activity with periods of lower activity.

For example, hop on a treadmill and and go 3.0mph for 2 minutes, then run 8mph for a minute, and repeat. Then, as your cardiovascular fitness improves, you can shorten the low activity periods and increase the intensity of your high level work. This could also apply to biking, swimming, rowing, etc.

12. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

Ahhh, when I played basketball thats how I trained everyday. It worked well, at that time my BP was 104/56 and my pulse was 52 to 54bpm...I was in good shape :hs:

Thats kind of how I do my elliptical training...I start out around 40 or so rpm to warm up for a minute, then I crank up the power level to 2 and go to 50 or so rpm. Then after a good 3 or so mins I go up to 60 rpm then at the 6 minute mark I jump it up to 85 or 90 rpm for a minute and then slow back down for about 2 mins. Then I put it on power level 4 and do it for roughly 1.5 mins at 65 rpm, then step it down to level 3 at the same speed for about 45 seconds, then I drop the speed back to 55ish rpm at level 2 for 3 minutes, then I go back to level 3 and 60 + rpm for 1 minute, then level 4 for 1.5 minutes, then level 5 for 1 minute, back to 4 for 1.5 minutes and 3 for 1 minute while maintaining a speed of at least 60 rpm (typically its right around 68 to 70 rpm). Then I do my cool down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.