cardio, heart rate, and weight loss

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Soybomb, Feb 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

So I've decided to work out more and get into better shape the last few weeks. Primary goal is some weight loss so right now I'm concentrating on getting in alot of time on the exercise bike, because its what I'll do consistently, I may branch out later. I'm also getting in a little time with dumb bells. I'm wondering how important heart rate is in the whole thing though. I dont know if I'm functionally retarded but I can't accurately take my own pulse. If I just feel like I'm getting a good work out, ride for 30-45 minutes at a really fast pace (the little onboard computer says I average like 38mph with quite a bit of resistence) and work up a good sweat am I getting an effective work out, or am I really missing out by not paying close attention to my heart rate with some little monitor or something?

2. Eschafer

Eschafer New Member

30-45 minutes is effective.

3. lif

lif New Member

Don't worry about that target heart rate BS, just go balls out and you'll lose the weight.

If you really want to lose weight, studies have shown that a vigorous weight lifting routine will burn more total calories throughout the day than a session of cardio. Ultimate weight loss = combination of lifting and cardio.

4. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

Yep!

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I definately plan on doing more lifting, I'm planning to move before too long though so I don't want to spend money for a gym membership here yet. besides losing 20 pounds first will be a bit of a confidence booster and let me know I'm serious about it and will really go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.