GUN Car was almost stolen just now...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AB13, Dec 7, 2009.

1. AB13

AB13 New Member

Police just left, couldn't find shit.

It's been cold around here and my Navigator wouldn't start today. So I went out there to get her to idle a while to charge up my battery. Went upstairs to grab my jacket.

I hear a car door slam, in my garage below me, and I already knew what was going on. I sit up to see a look out at the end of my driveway by the street. I grab my 1911 next to me, run downstairs and give chase.

By the time I get to my garage, they are at the end of my drive way and my car dies at the end of the drive and I yell at them. I draw my gun advancing on them and my car doors explode open and 3 guys start running. I hop on the phone to call the cops and that's that.

Side view mirror is busted, and got my heart going, but that's about it.

2. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

damn dude, too bad you aren't in tx, you coulda capped their punk asses. i know i would. i've had my car stolen, and there's nothing i want more than to slowly torture the fucktards that did it.

3. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

Having to clean your seats off, ftl

4. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Glad you're ok :sad2:

5. You'd shoot someone as they were running away, for trying to steal your car? Not only would you have to live with killing someone over your car, while they ran away, but you'd be inviting all sorts of civil suits from their families. Unless they're threatening your life, I'd say it's not worth it.

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

yeah you did the right thing and it came out as best as it possibly could. At least the dumb fucks had the good sense to run like little bitches.

7. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Similar situation happened to my brother-in-law a few years back. He is a cop and lives right down the street from the local police station. It was a hot summer day and he left the car idling in his driveway to cool down while he went back into the house to get his daughter. Came back out and some kid was driving away in it. They found the car about a month later in a ditch in Sacramento. I'll never let him forget about it.

8. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

Glad you're okay, and glad to hear you at least scared the ever-loving shit out of those punks.

9. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

what civil suit would be brought up you?

10. Anything the family of the "victims" can think up.

11. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Even if it's a legal shoot, it's just a epic hassel. For the sake of argument lets say the shoot is 100% legal. There is still a ton of questions that have to be answered repeatedly 11ty billion times, paperwork done. Now the families of said dead scum fucks can take you to civil court that is their right. That does not mean they will win, and lets assume they won't because it's a 100% legal shoot. You still need to take the time off from work and lawyer up regardless.

12. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Well played in keeping your head AB...

Glad to hear you are iight, and your car's still around.

13. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Your fam home at the time?

14. AB13

AB13 New Member

I would not shoot anyone over any of "my" property. It's all insured, I was just pissed off on GP that stealing shit from me ain't cool.

He did well in making it perfectly clear that they were posing no threat to me. There were 3 of them, so I was just leveling out the playing field. I could have easily chased him down, but it just didn't mean that much to me.

The freaky thing about it was, my car wouldn't stay idled, which is why it died on them while they tried to back out. But after I drove the car back into my garage, the thing just fired rite up. I just have to get my side view mirror fixed, no big deal.

And yeah, family was in the TV room, rite next to the garage door.

15. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

:werd: I made sure he got the remote-start option on the new car.

16. PromptCritical

PromptCritical Agent of Entropy

Please post the appropriate section of Texas state law that authorizes an individual to shoot someone fleeing from an attempted vehicle theft.

Your post has been quoted for evidenciary purposes should you ever be charged in a shooting. Have a nice day.

17. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Fuuuuuu.... that's some sobering shit.

What a bunch of fucking idiots.... clearly they were punk ass bitches looking for the easy score, but what if it would have been your wife/daughter (well.. she's prolly a little young to be wandering around outside, but you get my meaning) who happened to walk outside at the time.

18. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

I'm glad your family and you are safe. That's the most important thing. Good job keeping a level head and handling the situation properly.

19. clever_username

clever_username Active Member

didn't some states pass a law that says families can't sue? was it part of the stand your ground law?

20. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

21. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

I believe Texas is the only state that allows you to protect your property with deadly force.

But don't hold me to that.

22. dangitsjonathan

dangitsjonathan New Member

i believe (but dont quote me) that TX law allows you to defend property, and if you can win the criminal case, the families of the deceased cannot file a civil suit against you provided that the shoot was legal. again i'm not 100% sure on this, so if someone knows better than me, by all means. i know for sure in texas that you can shoot someone in your house/on your property. we have a stand your ground clause. now... shooting someone who is running away will get a civil and maybe criminal case put up against you because im pretty sure thats "excessive force". glad to hear you're safe though.

23. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:
    (1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and
    (2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:
    (A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or
    (B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and
    (3) he reasonably believes that:
    (A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or
    (B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

24. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

Even if you are justified in a good shoot, you still have to prove it up in court. Which means hiring an attorney and spending some dough to fight anything the victim/victim's family might bring.

Even if they aren't allowed to recover against you, they will still file suit and you will have to have an attorney kick it out on a motion to dismiss or summary judgment.

25. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

Viper alarms FTW.