A&P Car video, lip-stick cams, multi cam rig??

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by dmora, Nov 15, 2004.

1. dmora

dmora Guest

Anyone out there done racing footage from a car? What kinds of cams did you use? what kind of equipment is needed and what kind of price range are these things?
    :noes:

2. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

I've seen a sticky pod used at an autox and drifting event with great results. www.stickypod.com

3. dmora

dmora Guest

My whole idea is that i dont want to buy 5 DV cams, have them some how attached to the outside of the car, and risk them being damaged.

4. redna

redna New Member

5. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I've done alot of shooting/rigging cameras on race cars. I like the lipstick cam because I can mount it anywhere, including under the car, with just a boom pole and/or gaffers tape.

6. dmora

dmora Guest

Can you tell me how you set it up? More specifically on a budget. As well as where to get these toys? I want to mount a lipstick cam on the front lower bumper, inside by the pedals, one from behind the driver (using a regular cam). I'd like all the feeds to be DV. I guess i would need a dv cam for each input?

7. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

The question is do you need all three shots at the same time or can you use one camera and move it? The lipstick cam we own is an Elmo. You can rent them or buy them for a couple grand including lenses. It feeds into a miniDV deck (sony) or a betacam deck.

For set up on a bumper, I mount the camera on a boom pole with a mount our engineer made. The boom pole is then taped to the bumper. I also use bungee cords as a backup. I can then extend the boom pole out as far as needed aiming the camera back at the car. The miniDV deck and camera control unit (ccu) is mounted in a padded soft case in either the truck or the passenger seat and secured in place with bungee cords.

For mounting under the dash near the pedals I would probably use gaffers tape and mount it on the tranny tunnel or the bottom of the dash.

For the shots behind the driver, you can use a regular miniDV camera and mount it on the roll bar with a standard roll bar mount. Using the lipstick cam would be easier as you can simply tape it to the roll bar.

Make sure you also place a mic down in the passenger footwell to record the engine sounds.

8. dmora

dmora Guest

I've got all the mounting stuff in hand, i was just going to use bullet cams taped to the car body. And i didnt think about just using 1 cam and doing muliple laps while swapping the inputs. :rofl:

So in theory, i can have just 1 cam and 1 bullet cam. Run a line to the camera to be the recorder and then swap it when i need to. How about audio. Does the dv cam still record ambient noise through its internal mic? I would assume so. I guess i could mount that where i wanted to get some good audio or run a line mic to the spot i wanted to record audio from as well....

Any suggestions on cameras? i was gonna go with some little Canon maybe.

9. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

For good audio, place a seperate mic in the passenger footwell. This will pick up good engine sound and no wind noise. I've also had good sucess placing a small lav mic inside a helmet to pick up dirver comments.

As for your camera, rent a Canon XL1 or Sony DX 1000. The Sony is a bit smaller and has a built in image stabilizer that will help cure any vibration.

10. dmora

dmora Guest

you mean when bolting it to the roll bar? I was talking about for running the remote cams. No point in having a fancy pants cam if its going to be in a bag tied to the seat. :dunno:

11. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

The miniDV recorder for the lipstick cam is tied to the seat or in the trunk. The camera head is mounted wherever you want and a cable connects it to the recorder. You can also run a seperate mic line to the recorder.

You can mount a regular miniDV cam like the Canon or Sony to the rollbar with a standard rollbar mount.

12. dmora

dmora Guest

Are you saying i cant use a regualr DV cam with these bullet cams? I need a deck?

13. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Also, if you want to see some examples of my work doing this kind of rig, go to www.factoryfive.com and download the Bondurant video. I think it's still up on their site. You can also order a copy of their marketing video for about $5. I produced/directed it as well and it has shots taken with the lipstick cam.

Edit: The bondurant video is still there. Also look at "killer new vid" just below the bondurant video. This is part of the opening of the marketing video I made. There is a shot taken of the suspension at work while driving that was shot with the Elmo cam as well.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  14. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Yes, the Elmo lipstick cam that I use is just a camera head and ccu. You need a seperate deck to record the image. I use either a Sony miniDV deck or a betacam deck. The ccu has both an SVHS and a composite output.

15. dmora

dmora Guest

You also said it costed 2k :hs: I'd rather just get something with a line cable and cam on the end... Ones ive seen for like ~200?

16. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I don't know about a $200 camera. I don't have any experience with them. Why not just rent a camera? You can always buy one later.