Car system

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by unrealii, Jul 12, 2002.

1. unrealii

unrealii professor of plant biology

I currently have a 96 taurus lx with premium sound and a factory 6 disc changer. I also have the integrated auto climate control, so changing the head unit is not an option for me. The stock jbl speakers are crap, so I replaced teh front and back speakers with Polk Audio EX572a's. I also replaced the tweeters with Polk Ex3500. So far I have paid about $180 for the six speakers and the wiring plugs to go into the stock harness. The sound is pretty decent, but the stock jbl woofer isnt clear enough to keep up with the good sound of the remaining 6 speakers. My sound also distorts when I take it to higher volume levels. I think this is expected when I am running off the stock amp.

So now, I am thinking of throwing in a 5 channel amp in the car with an 8" polk sub. I chose 8" because I am looking for a more musical sub, rather than all thump. As for the amp, I found this one on crutchfield http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-NoMf8yvK2XB/ProdView.asp?s=1&c=3&g=120&I=158XM1805&o=m&a=0 It's a sony ES amp and it is last year's model. I think I can knock down the price if I do some seaching, but that is the absolute maximum i want to spend for an amp. I plan to run the amp at 4 ohms on all 5 channels. I'll probably go to circuit city to have them install the amp and sub and I wont be stingy on the wire.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments. Am I going in the right direction or am I far off for a system with pretty decent sound? I am sorta partial to polk and sony because I own several products from those companies and I am satisfied with their performance.

2. unrealii

Doh, I dont see any more 8" ers from polk. Would an EX series II 10" be out of the type of sound I am looking for?

3. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

ditch the factory radio there are ways around it

4. unrealii

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

teh ehad unit is teh weak link in this case if you plan to add additonal amps yoru ampfliing all of the noise and distrotion form teh factory deck

id also look for somenig besdies polk

6. unrealii

Thanks for your help flynfrog. I was wondering, I only get distortion at high volume levels because I think my factory amp isn't strong enough. All it was doing was driving pos oem jbl speakers. What would happen if I installed one of these http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-v4x9cAcb8Ns/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=751&I=127OEM2&o=m&a=0 Then use the sony amp to amplify the sound? I would be only amplifying the factory unit's distortion at low volumes which shouldn't be so bad, right? Or am I missing the point?

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

actualy i think crutchfelid makes a panel to replac your factory one so taht a new deck can go in there

my point was factory decks suck so by adding amps ect you are jsut amplifiying your decks distortion start wiht a new deck then work back words your factory amp will ahve to be taken out or at least by passed it would no doubt clip at higer volumes

8. unrealii

I have an integrated automatic climate control. That kit is not applicable to my vehicle and so far, there are not any kits as such in existance for my vehicle. So no matter what I do, I am stuck with that head unit there. Maybe later on I can add a head unit and hide it in the console or get creative like the pic I listed above.

The stock system consists of a radio/tape player in the front which wires up to a radio control unit located in the trunk. I was talking to the installation guy at circuit city and he said that they will take the signal before it hits the stock amp. I understand what you are saying, but I am wondering if the stock amp could be the culprit causing the distortion since it isn't powerful enough to drive aftermarket speakers. It also distorted with teh stocks as well, but it would happen at a higher volume.

9. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

my guess is the new speakers are more sensive then the stock speakers there fore picking up the distorion sooner but yes by passing the factory amp will give you a cleaner sound

10. unrealii

Thanks for the help man, I really appreciate it. I was wondering what you think of this amp (http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/archive/thunder5400x.cfm). Would that be better than the sony? It is advertised for $249 from a very reputable electronics chain near my house. It is also (the sony was last year's model as well) last year's, but that shouldn't matter, right?

11. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i had an older sony es amp one of the gold ones verry solid construction then they went to the red ones and the quality started to drop but the mtx would be the one id go with. with the 5 canel you can do your holw system incluting a samll subyour whole system off one amp you will praoby need to get a line to rca converter or 3 of them im not sure what tehy cost but you shuold praoby try to find a way to mount a deck in there it will help a ton as far as quality of the system look for a deck with 3 sets of rca ouputs good s/n ratio and any other featuers you want as for mounting it im not sure if you ahve room but a counicil under teh dash probay wouldnt be to hard to make or even a glove box mount all kinda depends on how compfortabe you are cutting yoru car

12. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

also as far as sub size any sub can be musicla it all depends the install id recomen a 12 jsut for the fact its would be easier to hit lower frequencs jsut amke sure you get one that is efficnt to use the 5 chn

13. unrealii

Cool, I sorta expected a "You are an idiot if you haven't bought that by now" but oh well, I just bought the mtx. It is at Good Guys for $249 if anyone else is interested.

Yeah, I was planning on using a 5 channel amp to do the entire system. I don't want to spend too much.

Yeah, I had talked to circuit city before and they said they'll need a hi/low converter. They said they have a very good one for $50.

I think I'll just install the amp without replacing the head unit right now because I am too busy to be cutting up my dash and I am low on funds. I am sure later on it wouldn't be a problem to add a new head unit and connect that to the amp.

14. unrealii

15. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

any store can get you the kit for that vehicle. It has the whole new face plate and a bunch of cable on average its around 100 dollars at most stores.

you dont have to cut any part of the dash the stock head unit comes out and the ac controls install into the new peice and the deck slides right in its take ive done a few of em

16. unrealii

Are you refering to a kit similar to this? http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-64hAXi4SQHi/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=751&I=142F134030&o=m&a=0

Take a look at the picture I linked above, there is a difference with the climate controls and as far as I know no such kit exists for the style which I posted above (which is what I have). If you have come across a kit which replaces the automatic (digital, no knobs) climate controls, please let me know. I know a lot of people who would like to change their stock radio who can't because of this limitation.

17. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

18. unrealii

Cool, thanks. I'll check those out.

19. rackaboy

rackaboy Platnium Member

20. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

:rolleyes: welcome to 1990 those things coulnt take any pwer and that box is way to small for that sub

21. :eek: How many inches is that subwoofer? Like 37"? :confused: :rolleyes:

22. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

like 5

23. unrealii

DAMMIT, installation is going to run me around $200. Originally circuit city told me around $140, but since I am using the factory head unit and bypassing the stock amp, its costing me. F#$#ing ford. Oh well.

Since it is costing me that much, I may just install the amp now and purchase a sub a month or two from now, so that I dont get stuck with a crappy one. I initally set a limit of $100 for a sub and box, but that doesn't seem possible. So I'm raising it up to $150. What do you guys thikn of this sub and box? http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=860007&catky=207135

24. 04

04 Guest

Im sorry flyn, but that is incorrect. One of the IASCA finals SQ champs used his jeep's factory head unit as the source for his amplifiers. BobG knows who it was, hopefully he can input some info. As long as its not being driven into clipping, you are not going to notice a difference, unless you have miracle ears.

To the original poster: you can use your factory unit, just get a good quality LOC.

25. unrealii

I found an audio shop a few miles away from my house and he suggested I go with an audiobahn 1051q sub. He said he'll sell it to me for $80 and about $30 or so for the box. Talked to the guy he also suggested that for the $250 i had spent on the mtx, I could buy a 4 channel amp for $100 and buy a good sub amp for $150. I kinda want to keep this simple though, but any opinions?

On the other hand, the shop was kinda ghetto. He was like what would you say if I were to install your amp for a bill? I am sure they do a decent job because they sell a bunch of high end stuff, but since he's offering to do the installation half off compared to many other places sorta makes me wonder. Has anyone had any experience smaller shops compared to store chains for installations?