Car Subs plugged directly into home theater system

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Rampage575, Dec 28, 2003.

1. Rampage575

Rampage575 New Member

I'm a noob at this stuff and I just wanted to know what would happen if i straight up plugged my 2 12'' subs from my car into my mini hifi system. My subs have the red/black wires which is the same as my speakers (i also have a subwoofer out plug in the back that would be similar looking to a video in/out or something on a tv). I've done this before for a few days a few years ago and it worked fine for me, but ive heard this isn't good for the speakers. What does it do to the speakers/system? Do i need some sort of converter? Also, is there a way to convert the red/black wire set up to allow it to plug into the subwoofer input? Thanks a lot guys, i appreciate it.

2. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

chances are it won't sound that great...do you even have a crossover section on the hifi system? the sub-in is probably for most of your standard pre-built subs that come with the RCA type jack connections rather than just bare wire at the end...

you also have to factor in the impedance of your subs, and what the amp on the home system can handle

3. 04

04 Guest

No, that wouldnt hurt the speakers at all.

If you want to "convert" the rca subwoofer out connector to interface with your 2 12" subwoofers, you will need to buy an amplifier with them.

However, you can run them off the mini-system without any problems, provided that you don't go below the manufacturer's reccomended minimum nominal impedence requirements.

4. UncleGene

UncleGene And when I say brother, I don't mean, like, an act

along the lines with this thread... lets say I have a spare 12" IDMAX laying around with an arc audio 2500cxl amp... how can I go about hooking this up in my bedroom? i have a shelf system as well with a subwoofer out (aiwa nsx-ds50)

5. 04

04 Guest

You will have to buy a 100+ ampere 14.4 vdc power supply. Good luck finding one for less than 500 dollars or so though...

If you REALLY want to run it in the house, try buying a prosound amplifier that can output around 1000 watts into 4ohms, you can find decent ones that do that easily for around 300 dollars.

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

buy a home amp and do like i did

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

i can give you box and port specs if you want they were arived on by talking to one of the id techs for about half an hour it sounds great and fills out the bottom end flawlessly

want to sell that arc ?

8. Rampage575

Rampage575 New Member

Sweet, thanks alot guys. Been very helpful.