Car subs: best setup?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mister Mac', May 2, 2002.

1. Mister Mac'

Mister Mac' Av: Daniela Denby-Ashe in Torchwood S1Ep7

Which is better for SPL/SQ?:
    2x 10"s on 150W each, in sealed 1cu ft boxes
    2x 12"s on 150W each, in sealed 1cu ft boxes
    1x 15" on 450W (bridged), in ported 3.5cu ft box

:confused:

They all cost about the same, and I'm building my own box, so I can design it to suit. At the moment I'm leaning towards the single 15" because it gets the most power out of the amp, but what is your opinion?

Thanks

2. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

Depends on which subs and which amp

3. Mister Mac'

MTX 10"
    Xplod 12"
    Xplod 15"

Amp

I can't get any other brands for my budget, unless I go for a much lower-powered amp and/or a single 10" or 12" sub, which I don't really want to do.

4. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

didn't realize you were from australia. what brands do you have available? Out of those the MTX would be best, but you must be able to come up with something better

5. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

and I think you'd get a much better sound by using a single 10 or 12 even though you said you didn't want to do that.

6. Mister Mac'

There are plenty of better brands available, but not in my price range. :big grin:

I can get a 12" Aluminium cone 'competition' sub (either MTX or Sony) for the same price as the 15" Sony

These brands are available:

Clarion
    JBL
    Soundstream (not sure on prices though)
    Xplod
    MTX
    Kicker
    Pioneer
    Sansui
    Rockford Fosgate (probably out of my range)
    Alpine
    Kenwood

As for the amps, I can't find anything other than the one I linked to above, with over 400W RMS bridged into 4 Ohms. The only one I've found that compares, is 4 times the price :ugh:

7. Mister Mac'

These are available in the $250-350 range:

2x Clarion 10" or 1x 15"
    2x JBL 10" or 1x 12" or 15"
    1x Xplod 15" or 1x 12" Comp
    2x MTX 10" or 1x 12" Comp
    2x Pioneer 10" or 1x 12"
    4x Sansui 12" :o or 6x 10" :o :o
    1x Kenwood 12" or 1x 10" Comp
    10x Tornado 12" :big grin: :ugh: or 16x 10" :rofl:

Last edited: May 3, 2002
  8. Mister Mac'

Lightning Audio 15"
    Pioneer 15"
    Soundstream SPL10
    Rockford Fosgate 15" (Demo stock :ugh: )
    Rockford Fosgate 10"
    MIK 12"

^ I saw these at the shop, all between $200-300

I think I'll go with the Xplod 12" Aluminium cone, if I can find one. The new range isn't out yet, and basically all the old stock has been cleared.

9. Mister Mac'

I tried a few shops and they're all out of the Xplod 12" Aluminium. :doh: Looks like I'll have to go with the Xplod 15"

10. phogen

phogen Education is a progressive discovery of our own ig

I personally would never put a 15" in my car. It will get REAL low, but it's response wont be quick enough for 80% of the bass you'll usually hear in music...and it wont sound as good as a 10 or 12 IMO.

I had 2 10's and it was pretty good. My next setup will more than likely be one 12". Probably and Image Dynamics. I actually get all my stuff off of ebay. Never had a problem with any of it.

11. 04

04 Guest

:slap: you obviously know nothing about audio reproduction. Who told you that a 15" woofer's response wont be as quick as a 10 or a 12? They need to get their head examined. Guess what happens when a woofer cant play "quick enough"???? It plays a lower frequency. IE if you are playing a 80hz sine wave, and the good ole 15" does not play it fast enough it will play 40hz. That is called DISTORTION. It is caused more by the amplifier than anything else in that circumstance, unless you have some really messed up speaker... :ugh: If your theory was correct, the best speakers to play "quick" bass notes would be 3" midranges, right? Their moving mass is so low that it shouldnt be any kind of problem. Your theory does not come into play generally until much higher frequencies. Below 100hz which is the subwoofer realm, any size subwoofer driver should do JUST FINE. If you heard some 15" compared to 10" in the store and the 15" did indeed sound slower, it is a problem with that particular speaker's design, not its size. Also, doesnt Image Dynamics make a 15" subwoofer for car use????? Are they stupid for wanting slow woofers? :rofl:

Also your term that a 15" will go much lower than a 12 or 10 is completely wrong too. Their are 10" drivers that have free air resonances below 20hz designed for hometheater/music reproduction. They sure as hell will go a lot lower than some car 15" woofers. In retrospect, their are 15" PA woofers that have fs's in the 40hz or higher range!!! Which one do you think will go lower in that case, the 10 or the 15? The cabin gain in cars makes that statement completely innacurate anyways. Even a 10" in a sealed box can play down to 25hz or lower at audible levels in a car.

You guys really need to get your facts straight before posting stuff on here. If you dont know what you are talking about, dont post. You might be leading someone from purchasing something really good for them.

12. 04

04 Guest

Sounds like a good choice for your application. Since you are wanting sound quality, instead of using a 3.5cuft ported box for the sub, why not go with a sealed box? The cabin gain in your car will make the sub still go decently low if you throw it in a sealed box. Exactly how loud do you listen to your music too, and what genre's do you listen to? Do you want flat frequency response or high SPL's more?

13. Mister Mac'

I bought the Xplod 15" on Wednesday. :) It was the last one in the shop, so I got it a bit cheaper because it has been used as a demo for a few weeks.

I've already designed the box and bought the materials, and I did some experiments with the sub today, and I think I'll stick with the ported design. I'm not too worried about the SQ, and I don't play my music loud (usually :big grin: :o) I listen to absolutely everything, and I mean, everything :big grin:

I'm not looking for a perfect frequency curve, just as long as it's better than my old setup :ugh2: My old subs were free-air 10s mounted in a single panel behind the seats. They sounded OK, but there was at least one totally dead spot in the frequency curve :ugh:

Also they were running on around 15W RMS each :o I'm going to use that amp for the front or rear speakers, it works very well on full-range. The head unit isn't quite powerful enough, the volume goes up to 25 I think, and it starts to distort at about 7 with the bass boost on :doh:

14. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

Other stuff I'd like to add to 042801's statement about "quick" bass:

Most of the "snap" you hear in recordings (the top of the bass kick, the skin of the bass drum before it flows to the bottom-end thump) is being produced by your front speakers, since it usually falls into the frequency spectrum at about 300-125 hz. IMO, if you want more snap and kick and "fast bass", get better front speakers before you run off and buy "smaller, faster subs." The most popular method of combating the problem in the car is by placing a standard size component set in kickpanels (usually 5.25" or 6.5") then adding 8" woofers in the doors, then damping the hell out of the door panels, sometimes going as far as to make an aperiodic enclosure for them.

And as far as a subwoofer's overall sound and quickness, punch, or whatever you want to call it-- a majority of it is derived from the subwoofer's enclosure and the damping factor of the amplifier that's driving it.

Just my $.02.