Car Sub for home use?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TenSteel, Jul 7, 2002.

1. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

I've got an ADS 312rs.2 12" sub sitting in my closet, and I'm thinking about putting it into a sealed box running it with my small home system (running it off a plate amp or an NHT A1 amp). I listen to music mostly, but the sub will also do some HT work. Have any of you used a car sub in your home setups? Were you happy with the results?

2. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

yeah, im running an RF 12, and im completely not satisfyeed, its getting 120 watts. It is also in a sealed box.

3. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM Guest

it should work fine.. What impedance is the driver? find a nice plate amp and use it. DONT use the receiver. The receiver doesnt put out its rated power till you really crank it and most towers/ book shelf speakers dont require that much power to get loud so your better off using a seperate amp for the sub

4. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

Nonono, not gonna use the receiver. The sub is dual 4 ohm, so I'm going to wire it in series to 8 ohms. I'm gonna use this amp right here:

[​IMG]

Specs:
    Description:
    Full range (20hz - 20kHz), class G, monaural amplifier for general audio use.
    Controls/Features:
    Power, 12V/Audio trigger, 115v/230v switchable, soft clipping, rack mount kit (optional).
    Power Rating:
    200W into 8ohm, 250W into 6ohm, 300W into 4ohm RMS.
    THD:
    <.01% 22Hz - 20kHz.
    S/N Ratio:
    >100dB.

Input Connectors:
    XLR, RCA.
    Output Connectors:
    5-way binding posts.
    Dimensions/Weight:
    2.125"H x 17"W x 11"D, 17lbs.

... along with the matching crossover.

[​IMG]

Specs:
    Description:
    Bass Manager/Active crossover for use with Evolution U1, U2 subwoofers and T5, T6 tower systems.
    Controls/Features:
    Power, master gain, LFE gain, boundary compensation, stereo/mono switch, phase, hi & lo pass filters, 12V/Audio trigger, 115v/230v switchable, rack mount kit (optional).
    Switchable Hi Pass:
    50Hz, 80Hz, 110Hz.
    Variable Lo Pass:
    50Hz - 140Hz.
    Phase Selector:
    0/180 degree switch, 0-90 degree variable.

Gain:
    +10dB, 0dB selectable.
    S/N Ratio:
    >100dB.
    Input Connectors:
    XLR, RCA.
    Output Connectors:
    XLR, RCA.
    Dimensions/Weight:
    2.125"H x 17"W x 11.5"D, 8lbs.

5. brewman

brewman Guest

i've got 2 infinity kappa's in to floor standing ported boxed. then got 2 3 1/2's jbl's. looking for a nice set of 4' speakers. but on the subject, yea they work good.
    and i chambered my box to the specs (added that in so everybody wouldn't think i'm a noob)

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

im thinking of hooking my hsockers up to a my computer to paly games wiht any body know of a cheap 2000 watt home amp

7. 04

04 Guest

What do you define as being cheap? A QSC RMX 2450 would probably put out a little less than 2kW RMS. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=245-694&DID=7 It only costs 500 dollars. Or you could go all out and get a Crown K2 which costs around 1100 dollars I believe. It puts out 2.5kW and doesnt even need a fan to cool it!