Car stereo wiring?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ASIGN_Baz, Feb 8, 2010.

1. ASIGN_Baz

ASIGN_Baz New Member

hey guys, it's been years since i put in my last stereo and the colors are all different now.

Can anyone join up the wires for me? See pictures...

I have a crappy old Mitsubishi ute and a second-hand clarion...

Baz.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

The12volt.com

I've installed radios in more than 2 dozen cars and used this site for the wiring diagram almost every time.

Alternatively if you have a DMM you can simply find a constant 12+, switched 12+ when the ignition is on, and run your own ground. Figuring out the speakers will be a whole other issue and will require you to pull the door panels off to check what wires are running to the speakers and what the polarity is.

3. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

For the radio, yellow is 12+ constant, red is switched 12+, black is ground, blue is remote, light blue/blue with stripe is antenna, brown or orange will be your dim if your dash has this feature and if you even care to have it, white and grey are your front outs, purple and green are your back. green and white are left, grey and purple are right.

Also, dont expect this to be 100% accurate. I'm going by memory. The information you seek is google-ready so I advise you to double check.

4. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

Yellow = constant power (always energized circuit)
    Red = switched power source (comes on when you turn keys to ACC)
    Black = ground, connect to any bare, unpainted metal part of chassis.
    Blue/White stripe = remote turn on lead. (used to power up outboard amplifiers or devices such as active xovers).

5. lawngn0me

lawngn0me In every wish and dream and happy home, you will f

this.

also, i've always just used a d size battery and then went to check which 2 wires were for which speaker. you should hear some crackling in the speaker when the positive and negative receive some current.

6. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

Actually what you're describing is to test the polarity of a speaker. If a speaker's terminals are unmarked, you can determine the polarity of a speaker by using a set of jumper wires and any AAA, AA, C, D battery.

Take the 2 jumpers wires and place one on the + side of the above described battery, and the other on the - side. Hook each wire to each terminal of the speaker. If the speaker cones moves out after the connection, you have correct polarity. If the cone moves inward, you have reverse polarity.