Car Stereo Installation help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by orangecuse, Dec 16, 2004.

1. orangecuse

orangecuse OT Supporter

I am replacing the factory stereo in a 1993 Mercury Topaz. Any help would be appreciated seeing how I have never installed a car cd player before.

So I bought a Premium Sound Car Stereo Connector. Model FDK106 (Fits Tempo/Topaz)
    See Pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the CD Player
    See Pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I'm no rocket scientist, but those plugs don't fit. :o

Please clue me in to what I need to do, and what I'm doing wrong. Thanks.

2. [b]e-n[/b]

[b]e-n[/b] Guest

The FDK106 plug should match the wiring haness on the vehicle, and not the radio harness. Assuming they match, you would connect the FDK106 wires to the matching wires on the headunit, then plug in the harness to the car, insert the antenna. All should work then.

3. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

I'm wondering what the green and white plugs are for in that harness you bought. You should only have two plugs that you need (the gray one that I see pictured, and a black one that looks very similar in size and shape to the gray one). Like this:
    [​IMG]
    Those plugs snap into your Mercury factory harness, and as was mentioned, you connect the ends of those wires to the ends of the wires on the sony harness. (yellow to yellow, red to red, black to black, purple to purple, green to green, gray to gray, white to white...etc.)

As far as the plugs on the end of the cd player harness, I'm not really sure why those are there either. What kind of cd player do you have? Normally cd players come with a wiring harness that looks like this:

[​IMG]

without any other plugs attached

Last edited: Dec 17, 2004
  4. orangecuse

orangecuse OT Supporter

Yea, today I went to advanced auto and got that connector. It works, thanks.