car stereo in home?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by davidI, Jan 6, 2002.

1. davidI

davidI New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Hey all,

I've got an old 15" sub kicking around and was thinking that I could maybe use it in my home theater set-up...

I know it wouldn't sound as good as a home theater sub but I just wanna do it for the hell of it. Now I know you can use a car battery and a charger for the power supply, then hook up a car stereo amp and the subs just like you would in a car but my problem is that my receiver only has one output for the sub whereas if I remember correctly most car stereo amps need 2 rca's in....

How can I hook the receiver up to the car stereo amp so it won't sound like ass?

its nothing a Y adapter cant fix but a car battery charger has a rediculous amount of noise youd be better off going to parts and buying their biggest home amp and using it to power the sub rather than using a battery etc..
  3. What LOUDSYSTEM said is my opinon as well. Not overly knowledgeable about car batteries but i have seen a few friends running their subs off cars that don't have the engine running and the battery drains fairly fast. Capacitors will help but in this situation have a look at a dedicated subwoofer amp from a hifi shop etc.
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

the 250 watt plate amp is like 80 bucks and should do the job just fine.