Car Stereo Gurus

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sean92AWD, May 17, 2008.

1. Sean92AWD

Sean92AWD New Member

Never been into stereos before. But decided to add one into my Galant VR-4. I purchased a Alpine CDA 9887. Im looking to spend about another $1000 on componets and a sub. The car has 2 small speakers in the dash which i would put the tweeters in. The front doors and rear deck are 6 3/4" what would you guys go with for more sound quality over loud bass in that price range.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i think you should leave nothing in the dash. The tweets are best placed near their midbass counterpart to get proper imaging.

I am by no means a "guru" in this field. Someone may very well ridicule me for my recommendation, or may post a better suggestion...

With that disclaimer out of the way, I have had excellent results with CDT components. I have also had great experiences both with Elemental Designs and JL. I have seen all three brands get hate from this forum, but I wouldn't think twice about going with any of them again. In fact, JL is the first place I look for subs. I like that they're easy to get locally, and carry a warranty.

3. Original

Original OT Supporter

:werd:

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

yeah, the tweets generally sound better when they're mounted near the mids, but sometimes they can be muffled or blocked by your leg. I've put tweets in the dash, wired out of phase with the mids, and attenuated -3dB. By the time the sound bounces off the glass it will be in phase with the mids and the sound should reach your ears close to the same time. the -3dB attenuation will bring down some of the sharpness of tweets against the glass.

With $1000 budget, I'd look for a pretty nice 5 channel amp, some nice components for the front, and a good 4ohm DVC 12" or 10" sub. of course you'll use all of the amp's channels, but I'd suggest you leave the factory speakers in the rear (if they aren't damaged) and have the levels set on the rears very low.

One thing I'd suggest if you are doing the install yourself: go ahead and install your amp and the mids adn xovers for the comps. then take your tweets on a long piece of wire temporarily connected and play with the placement. some double-sided tape or duct tape will hold them in place while you're playing around. oh and don't be afraid to do silly stuff with them. Years ago, a guy was playing around with his lemans while placing the front speakers and had the seats out. He was so amazed by the staging that he ended up building the entire car so that it was drivable from the rear seat. He scored a 40 on the RTA (perfect).

5. Sean92AWD

Sean92AWD New Member

Yeah my rear speakers are shot they both have 2 holes in them. SO whats some good stuff to go with as far as companies.

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

have you been to your local shop to see what's available?

7. Sean92AWD

Sean92AWD New Member

Well with the shop idea. I dont want to go in and them sell me overpriced stuff because there going to make more off of it when something cheaper may be a better option for what i want.

8. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

usually a shop will charge more to install stuff they don't sell, than they do for stuff they do sell... if they do it at all.... so if you don't buy from a shop, don't bother asking a shop to do it.

as for prices... everything has a mark up, and sometimes the cheapest entry level stuff has more of a mark up... than mid level equipment.

9. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

the reason i say go to a shop is just to listen to equipment. talk to the salesman, you may find that you want the shop to do the work for you. Don't go in with the attitude that they are there to rip you off, as you may find a really good deal on some older model year equipment. i know a shop that i worked at, the owner always overbought product , so we'd have stuff on clearance all the time.

yes, that was bad for him, but great for the customer.

10. tjamz

tjamz New Member

+1 Most shops are not trying to rip you off, they are trying to stay in business however and since a brick and mortar building costs significantly more than a laptop, ISP fee, etc... they have to charge more than their online counterparts. IF you buy from a legit online business, you will notice that their pricing is very similar to what you would find locally. Why? Because they are authorized dealers and the product they sell is authentic and not some cheap knock off or imitation packaged to look like the real thing...so your "good deal" may not be such a good deal after all. http://blog.sounddomain.com/gadget/2008/02/bunk-beats-what.html

And speaking as a shop owner, I won't touch ANYTHING that was bought online...I also don't install used equipment unless I know the full history on it.

11. NickDC599

NickDC599 Active Member

Thats very smart, I do car audio at circuit city and about 3/4 of all the stuff that is brought in from somewhere else doesn't work properly. And what sucks is that they expect us to return the money for labor, harnesses and things like amp kits which shouldn't ever be returned used.