Car speakers are dying...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CodeX, Jan 18, 2009.

1. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Got a pair of 3-way infinity kappa 6x9's in the back of my car, 4" 2-way kappas in the front. The rears are starting to crackle when the volume is up even a little bit, I gotta listen to stuff real quite now, like quite enough that your mother wouldn't even say anything about it lol.

WTF causes this? These speakers where like 300 bucks lol. Does it happen to all speakers eventually or only if they are abused or what? I know I am not driving them properly, they aren't amped and I know they should be. They are rated like 110w RMS each and they are getting 45, is that what killed them? Is it really necessary to amp speakers like these?

2. CodeX

CodeX Guest

3. swedishstar

swedishstar Active Member

I would bet it's your headunit. If it is them though, I have some MB Quarts that I am trying to get rid of. Hit me up if you are interested.

4. Original

Original OT Supporter

sounds really weird. aftermarket speakers will rarely blow powered by a headunit.

i havent heard of this case much lately... but i almost wanna say it's the headunits fault as well. rarely do i ever see headunits failing, and speakers will sound terrible when blown

any more details would help if you have ehm

5. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Well like I said if I turn it up past a certain point, which I do not consider loud at all, they will crackle and not play the music at all... its not like a little crackling on top of the music, the music is gone and all I hear is the crackle/static sounding noise. It's only the rear speakers, if I adjust the balance all the way to the front the fronts sound fine at much higher volumes.

How do speakers blow? Is it loss of magnetism of the driver or something like that?

6. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Do they crackle jsut when the bass hits? If you turn treble all the way down/put a high pass filter on them do they still crackle? From what you have described though it kind of sounds like your headunit.

7. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Oh god don't tell me that... Ill try that tomorrow though, turning the treble all the way down and then the bass all the way down and seeing if it is only one. That would show that its only one of the 3 drivers and would prove its the speaker correct? If it happens across all frequency ranges it would be the head unit?

8. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Yea kind of what I was thinking. From my experience the woofer in a speaker will blow before a tweeter, usually to people that love to have the bass cranked, and don't know the differnece between something that sounds good, and distortion. Which overtime will ruin the speaker.

Anyways I guess the best way if possible would to simply grab another speaker if you have one, and quick hook it up to the rear channel. If they distorte get a new HU if they sound fine get new speakers.