Car speaker suggestion *good bass*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CasualSex, Jul 28, 2006.

1. CasualSex

CasualSex Stan Smith

Hey guys, I need some suggestions for car speakers. I have two 2-channel 760 W amps but no subs (long story), so I have some power and I'd like some good speakers that can handle a lot of bass.

I have 2 door panel speakers and 2 rear speakers that need replaced. This is on a 99 Civic Si.

It would be nice if we could keep this in the $400 price range for the 4 speakers but I might be open to paying a little more if the quality is there.

edit:
    The speaker sizes that fit my car are
    door panel: 6"
    rear: 6x9

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2006
  2. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

Unfortunately a 6" and a 6x9 arent efficient sources of bass.. one 10" in your trunk will do wonders compared to your factory speaker sizes.

3. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

those amps would not happen to be pioneer would they??? if so, they are not even close to that rating.

4. CasualSex

CasualSex Stan Smith

I think they are. They were a friends old amps that he didnt want anymore so I got them dirt cheap.

I'm quite the car audio noob, so I dont know much.

Also, I realize that the speakers wont produce near as much bass as a sub, but are speakers rated on how much bass they produce or handle? And would their be a big difference between similar priced, but different brand speakers?

Sorry if these are dumb questions.

5. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

lol i was thinking the same thing.

6. spark plugs.

spark plugs. beautiful. OT Supporter

there are very few amplifiers that cannot moderatly power interior speakers.

again, do not expect much bass from interior speakers.

speakers are rated on how much power they can handle.

everyone has different tastes when it comes to speakers. if you're that much of a noob, walk into a reputable car audio shop (not circuit city) and listen to the speakers they have to offer. a good shop will have them setup for test listening. :bigthumb:

7. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I personally find polks to have good "mid-bass" response. They really give a good "kick", but won't "boom". Very few 6" speakers will get down much below 80Hz with a lot of impact, at least not ones meant for car audio use and without the proper enclosure. The diameter of the speaker is not what's important for reproducing very low frequencies, it's just that they can't produce enough pressure before damaging the surround or sacrificing the upper range. So, most people use seperate subwoofers. This is probably what you will need to do to be satisfied with your bass response.