Car sound quality

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tiggeroo, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Tiggeroo

Tiggeroo Guest

Ok, I have a PowerAcoustic headunit, which is crap. I thought it'd be cool since it has a DSP (yeah right). I'm looking to improve the sound quality without having to replace the HU. It's got 2v preouts, and my Aura amp accepts just 2.5v inputs, the THD is rather high and SNR is low. Say I get an Equalizer with an 8v output. Does my amp's 2.5v inputs mean that the 8v on the Equalizer is downconverted? Perhaps I should replace my amp with one that accepts higher input?

oh and I'm running Eclipse speakers.

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

what exactly do you want to change about the sound if ti sounds like crap and add an eq you are jsut eqing crap

3. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

If you run all your speakers from an amplifier, your headunit does nothing except adjust bass and treble levels. I don't know what to do about the preouts though. Realistically just buy a decent headunit off ebay. You can get a decent Alpine headunit for about $250-350. I'd rather put that money into a headunit than an amp. You also get adjustable eq with crossover adjustment with a better headunit. Your system is only as strong as its weakest point.

4. 04

04 Guest

What do you find bad about the sound quality right now?

If your aura amplifier is rated at 2.5v inputs, thats probably the MAXIMUM input sensitivity, not the minimum. I have an Aura 6ch amplifier and have had absolutely NO problems driving it to full output.

As for the THD and S/N ratio, unless THD is over 3 percent at rated power, or S/N ratio is less than say 60dB or so, you really don't have anything to worry about in a car. The noise floor of the car's engine and road noise is MUCH higher.

5. Tiggeroo

Tiggeroo Guest

it doesn't sound as good as when I had my Pioneer HU. There seems to be some crackling and some delay/pauses/silence at high volumes. also, with the amp disconnected, it makes a high pitched whine that gets louder with the rpm's. I'm thinking the amp isn't getting a good enough signal, so perhaps a line driver would fix that. THD and SNR is measured at low volume, so I think they do make a big difference at higher volumes.

6. Tiggeroo

Tiggeroo Guest

also, this poweracoustic headunit only has 1 set of speaker preouts. i'm not sure how that would work with the amp. i know it has a phantom sub channel, so will the amp split those channels to the speakers and make sure my sub gets some bass?

7. idontgiveashit

idontgiveashit I eat rice

junk your shitty deck or youll never get SQ

8. 04

04 Guest

I beg to differ...

9. 04

04 Guest

Well that could very well be happening, but what do you mean by delay, pauses and silence? Those would be really easy to hear I would think...

And it sounds like you are getting some alternator whine into your system somehow. But before getting a line driver, you really need to find what the source of the noise is. If you can link it back to the cd player, then you may have to check your wiring, run better interconnects, use the speaker outputs and a LOC, or even replace the unit. A line driver wont help anything if the problem is situated in the headunit, it will just make the noise louder.

Actually, most amplifiers rate THD at rated power. I wouldnt take any power rating as truth if it didnt have a harmonic distortion spec at rated power... And like I said before, unless its higher than 3 percent or so, you are not going to hear it. Signal to noise ratio works at high volumes as well at low volumes, the reason you hear more noise at higher volumes is that while the signal level has increased, the noise level has as well. Are you sure that the noise isnt present in the recording? I have found that the noise floor on a lot of cd's is MUCH higher than even cheap equipment.

10. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

ok save yoru self the toruble and get qulity componets i had a powe accoustic eq it was impossible to get free of alt wine

the pops and what not are most likely related to the deck

also im not to fammiler with arura amps but while you can get clean power out of cheap amps you usally cant get alot of clean power are you over driving the amp? how are you connections to the amp

11. 04

04 Guest

Maybe so, but until he can make sure the deck is causing the problem, why would he want to get rid of it if its not causing the problem and he cant tell for sure?

12. Tiggeroo

Tiggeroo Guest

I think the deck is the problem, because the whine is only there when the amp isn't on. it's one of the cheapest units you can buy.

13. 04

04 Guest

What exactly do you mean by the noise is there when the amp is off? Is everything hooked up, but just no power to the amplifier? What happens if you disconnect the rca cables coming from the headunit, is the noise still there?

14. Tiggeroo

Tiggeroo Guest

I mean with the amp completely disconnected and just the headunit working the speakers. This problem wasn't there when I had my Pioneer unit.