car security question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by drake, May 15, 2006.

1. drake

drake OT Supporter

Looking at getting something basic from DEI for my car and can't figure out what the difference between ignition lock and starter kill are. I'm assuming starter kill means the car will not start unless the remote deactivates it, while ignition lock won't let the key physically turn in the tumbler unless it been deactivated :dunno: Anyone know if having both would make much of a difference security-wise?

Also, do any of you have remote start, and is it worth it? I live in San Francisco, so there really isn't a need to run the A/C or defroster before I get in the car for work. The options I'm looking at now are either remote start or alarm/siren. Both systems are the same price, but can only have one or the other, I can add the both, but I'm not sure if it's necessary since my car is not that great. I just want the convenience of keyless entry plus trunk release with some sort of security.

2. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

are you talking about ignition controlled locks? i've never heard of a ignition lock

3. drake

drake OT Supporter

Have no idea, I guess I talk to the people at the shop and see exactly what it is. From the sounds of it though it seems like the car will not start unless the ignition lock has been "un-locked". I think for my car a kill switch should be adequate.