Car security/alarm question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by drake, Dec 11, 2004.

1. drake

drake OT Supporter

I had a viper 600ESP in my old car and was looking at adding a system to my current car. The ESP systems no longer seem to be sold, does anyone know if the XV systems that DEI makes now are similar, or something better of worse?

I'm looking to spend ~$300 installed. Thanks.

2. StraX22

StraX22 Stuckitude

I think the newer Viper systems are better, and easier to install. But I've come to the realization that alarms are pointless without a proximity sensor. I know three people with alarms who got their shit jacked just because they only had a shock sensor.

3. drake

drake OT Supporter

It's more for convenience, I don't have anything worth stealing in my car other than a bunch of burned cds. I may just even lean towards one of the keyless systems and save a bunch of money. :dunno:

4. StraX22

StraX22 Stuckitude

Yeah, I got mine (1600XP) just for the keyless entry, remote start, and turbo timer.
    Never underestimate the stupidity of a car stereo theif, there are pros out there but most of them are total idiots that will smash your window, tear up your dash, cut your factory wiring harness, stal your backpack with all your college books and work (and not to mention a $160 graphing calculator) Just so they can steal a <$100 CD player.

Heck, when my friend's Alpine CDA-9835 was stolen, the idiots cut the freakin' power supply, and RCA pre-outs off the back of it rendering it a useless hunk of electronics.

5. drake

drake OT Supporter

Nice, I'm not too worried about losing college stuff. Done with that for the past couple of years. Face always comes with me since it pops out in seconds from my dash unlike the last car I had where it was 5 screws (2 hidden) just to get the chassis out from the dash to get the cd player. Thanks for the input, I'll look into what I can find here locally.

6. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

You can pick up a viper 350 for around 200-230 installed, it has a shock sensor and door triggers, with the extra money you save you can pick up a proximity sensor, PM me I can sell you one cheap.

7. senseii

senseii chea

lol

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

when was the last time you heard a car alarm go off? Did you go see what was wrong?

I rest my case. Car alarms are essentially worthless.

9. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

:werd: the only time I ever look to see what is going on is if it's going off near my house.

2 way paging alarms are a slightly different story though