Car restorers lend me your ear

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Public Enemy Rated R, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Public Enemy Rated R

Public Enemy Rated R Sexobsessedpussylovinman OT Supporter

I need to remove the roof gutter chrome off of my 1959 cadillac. Anyone have any pointers? I can find no printed material on the subject anywhere. ANYWHERE :(

2. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

I'm not familiar with how they are set on the car, but, only thing i could suggest is use a mirror and inspect the backside of the panel. if that wont work, what about finding a piece of trim at a swap meet or something, or even ebay and look at the trim to see if there are any mounting holes.

3. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

only car i had with chromed guttering, i was able to remove it with wd40 and elbow grease... i sprayed it at all the contact points... then with my thumbs in an up and out motion, i was able to work it off... i've seen people pull at the front, but that only seems to work if it's a straight piece with no bends.

4. Public Enemy Rated R

Public Enemy Rated R Sexobsessedpussylovinman OT Supporter

I did get those off. Pretty much did what you said minus the WD40. Started at the front and was able to work it off the car. It was caulked on the car and that is why it didn't want to budge at first. I was afraid to put too much pressure on it since it would be hard and expensive to find a replacement. Thanks for the advice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]