A&P Car pics - another stab at it

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by UncleMeat, Jul 19, 2003.

1. UncleMeat

UncleMeat Guest

Shot in RAW mode this time. Used a tripod... was a little sunny (couldn't shoot from the rear or passenger side, but I think I'm getting better at this.

For some reason, I'm good at shooting scenery and action, but still objects give me trouble. :dunno:

http://www.jayratkowski.com/cars/wrx/2ndcoat/

2. one66stang

one66stang Haters.com

The shots are pretty decent. The background on the first 2 isnt that great.

The one with the tree background is over exposed on the passenger side. Should have metered off that door.

The last one is the best . I would crop it down and get the trees out of the shot.

3. WiLL

WiLL Active Member

try putting the car on the bottom 1/3 of the picture. i see no reason to see that much foreground.

:)

4. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Unclemeat,
    The biggest problem with your shots is simply the background. On your first two shots, if you could have placed your camera about 10' high you would have a decent shot. Unfortunatly the fence in the background ruins the photo.

When looking for a background to photograph your car, look for something that already looks cool, be it an alley, old building or scenic shot. Then figure out where to place your car for maximum effect. Next, figure out where to place the camera for best framing and start shooting.

Cheers
    Jim

5. UncleMeat

UncleMeat Guest

That's my problem, I was going to every spot I could think of for a good background, be it an open field or a cool building or even a big pile of dirt and rocks. Everything around me seems to either be very private and blocked off or full of people. The shot by the lake involved me RUNNING out, not even taking my tripod, guessing on how the shot would turn out and snapping a picture. It was a private road that the cops patrol heavily. But there is no other place by the lake where you can get a car within 200 yards. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to drive 100 miles out of town to get some privacy. :(

Anyways, thanks for the tips. Glad I'm getting a little better. Hopefully this week I'll actually have time to plan pictures out.

6. barnold999

barnold999 New Member

The street makes nice photos (provided there arent other cars or people)

7. 01mustang

01mustang Kiss teh kitty!

:werd: The background makes all the difference. Had you had the last background with a front shot/tail/angled shot of the car with the camera 2-3 feet higher, you would have had an awesome shot.

I also think that when it comes to cars, you really look for two things, something really agressive or some clean body lines or something unique about the car that sets it apart from the norm.

For the WRX, I think the headlights, tailights, and hoodscoop really set the car apart. Try zooming in closer to your shots (cropping works too) and taking shots laying on the floor, standing on a ladder/wall, or up close to the car (a shot following body lines).

Here's a pic I took of the Nismo 350z to show you what I mean:

[​IMG]

Keep it up man. Take as many pictures as you can all the time.. it will only help you develop your skills.

8. 01mustang

01mustang Kiss teh kitty!

Here are some photoshops I did to show you how some different things can enhance your photos...

Original:

[​IMG]

Cropped and Brightened:

[​IMG]

Cropped, Brightened, and Manual Focused on vehicle only:

[​IMG]