car painting

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by LudeGuy, Nov 17, 2003.

1. LudeGuy

LudeGuy Active Member

Wondering if any of you guys are into painting your own car. Mine just got hit and run on the bumper couple of days ago. The cost to repair is just as much as the deductible so I am thinking of doing it myself. Any info or links will be appreciated :)

2. a red heart

a red heart Guest

i painted my entire car. its not too hard just takes a long, long time. if you arent good at shooting clear coat it will take even longer because it wont emulsify well and you will have to wet sand a lot.

if you want more info let me know.

be advised you need a nice gun, something to practice on, and lots of time if you want it to come out well at all.

3. LudeGuy

LudeGuy Active Member

yes, i do need some more info :)

would really like to know how the process go. do i just go patch, sand, paint, more sand, and more paint?

and when do i use wet-sanding? and do i have to put clear coat on before polishing and waxing?

and in terms of hardware and tools, what do you recommend? thanks a ton man

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

More than I would want to get into, but if you have the time and patience, go for it. I'm sure it will end up saving you some money. It could end up making you some, too, if you end up being good at it.

5. a red heart

a red heart Guest

Here are all the steps for a medium lvl paint job:

use ppg DBC paint and omni clear. ppg dbc primer is also nice.

steps:

1.wash car
    2.wetsand car with 400 until its dull
    3.fill body work needed areas / sand down with 100 grit until its perfect. go over if needed as many times.
    wipe car with reducer / fish eye
    primer car. 2 coats. 3 where you did body work
    5. sand down car with 400-600. go over it really slowly. watch the spots you did body work over and look for scratches. you ned to look at them in the light and make sure hte scratches go away. sand them down as far as you have to to get the scratches away even if you are to the paint and you ca just see the scrathces on the paint filled. this is an important step.
    5. reprimer scratched areas
    6. sand again lightly, and sand normally in scratched areas.
    7. paint car with basecoat. 2-3 coats.
    8. slightly later depending on how base coat lays / temperature (figure 5-30 minutes) spray clear coat.
    9. spray 2-3 coats. spend about 5 minutes between coats. make sure its EVEN STEVEN starting from the top to the bottom go SLOWLY and lightly or it will run. point hte gun about 6" away and make even strokes across slightly overlapping as you go down.
    10. add 3 coats of solid clear so it emulsifies. it should shine so-so at this point, but nothing spectacular.
    11. wetsand with 1000 then 1500 then 2000 making it completely dull to completely take out orange peel or just to whatever lvl of orange peel you want.
    13. Clean car hardcore
    14. polish car
    15. glaze/seal car
    16. wax car

thats all you need to know :) have fun its a LOT of sanding :)

6. pLaYIstIcPimP

pLaYIstIcPimP New Member

man, what a kick ass write up. it makes me want to go out and paint my M3. but i don't have the balls. many things would have to be taped off and taken off and what not. but my car does need a new paint job.

7. LudeGuy

LudeGuy Active Member

jesus, that's quite some work. thank god i'm only doing the bumper

questions: how is wet-sanding done? 2 coats of primer and 2-3 coats of paint seem a lot. would that create a buildup?

8. a red heart

a red heart Guest

build up of what? you could put one coat of primer and less paint but i like having more room to work with if i mess up. it does increase the orange peel though, which is more work in the end. as you get better you can use less paint / primer.

also wet sanding is done by taking a bucket of water and putting sand paper in the water. then ge the surface you are going to sand wet. put some soap in teh bucket too for extra lubrication. now just take your sand paper and in a circular motion go over the spot you wish to wetsand (just sand). you can draw on the clear coat with a permanent market and sand over it to get a feel for how much you need to take off. once the marker is gone you've gone through one coat of clear. i suggest taking one coat off or if you put a lot of clear on you can do more to completely get orange peel out and have an amazing finish.

9. LudeGuy

LudeGuy Active Member

sorry but what is orange peel? and what is lvl ?

10. a red heart

a red heart Guest

lvl is level im guessing

and orange peel is hard to explain its like think of the surface of an orange, think of how it has a little dimpling in it, isntead of being completely 100% smooth. almost all cars have one, especially GMs/mercedes. (although i like the mercedes peel, its very appealing).

11. LudeGuy

LudeGuy Active Member

thanks a lot man. this is one page i have to save for future reference. that's a lot of useful info :bowdown:

12. a red heart

a red heart Guest