Car Over Heating Need Help!

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Dr. Feel Good, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Dr. Feel Good

Dr. Feel Good Yeah Baby This is All Part of a Routine Check up,

I recently switched out a 305 for a 350 in my firebird...for the first few months the car ran great, but then some of my ignition wiring went bad so the car sat for a couple months. I finally got that fixed and took it out on the highway, and the damn thing went into the red. I thought it might be my water pump but it is working fine, I changed the belt because it was old and I thought it might not be turning the pump well enough, and I also changed the thermostat. But after all of this it is still overheating...can anyone tell me a reason this is happening. My buddy said that it could be my cam is bad which is a stage one compucam. what do you think?

2. nemopie

nemopie OT Supporter

If you motor is borredmore that 30 over you will have a problem with over heating. I recomend running a electric fan over your raditaior. or run a aluminium water pump.

3. flyinbrian

flyinbrian New Member

What is the timing set at?
    And how did some of the ignition wiring go bad?
    What wiring went bad? Did it melt? Which wires?

A incorrectly timed motor will overheat as well.

A non-pressurized cooling system will ovwerheat as well. Check your radiator cap.

A .030 over 350 doesn't run hotter :confused:

Is it fuel injected? A lean condition will run hot as well.

4. motorbreath

motorbreath New Member

Try purging the system to rid it of any air pockets.

5. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

an engine bored over .030 should NOT have a problem overheating, thats the most rediculous thing I've heard. Only time you would run into trouble with an overbore is if you break through the water jacket, or go so far over that you need to partialy fill the block. In that case you would need a larger radiator, and better fan. However on your average 350, you should be able to bore to at least .060, and I've seen as much as .100 without having to fill the water jackets.

Chances are you either got an obstruction, or you get air pockets. In either case I recamend flushing your system completely, and starting over will new coolant. You could also have a bad radiator cap (as was previously mentioned) wich would case your system to overheat. Since radiator caps are cheap, you might as well get a new one and replace it at the same time you do your flush.

1 other odd problem that NOBODY seems to think about is the air damn. If you are missing the air damn from your firebird your car will overheat. Just look under and see if it is still there. This is notorious problem for F-bodies and often overlooked.

6. 194kw

194kw Guest

does your car have electric fans? if not, check the fan clutch. if you see any oil on the sensing coil its probably gone bad and the fan isn't spinning fast enough.

7. Chadnel25

Chadnel25 Member

pray you dont have a cracked block