car needs a new head unit

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Soybomb, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Any advice? I've got an old firewire 3rd gen ipod I'd like to hook up to it but that may mean I either pick up an old HK drive+play or just learn to put my mp3s on a usb drive. I'd like 3 preamp outs and an aux input, on the back preferably.

I've found an alpine iDA-X200 for $122.50. Alpine has a great reputation but no cd drive. I don't use cd's much but it seems like its so cheap to add...why go without?

Pioneer DEH-P5000UB seems like the sweet spot, $93

I could step up to the Pioneer DEH-P6000UB for $125 but honestly the only difference I see at first glance is the display and it looks more irritating than useful.

Any suggestions?

2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

if you're wanting a cd too, look for a alpine cda-9884... since it's last year's model, you'll probably fiind it cheaper... if you plan on getting a new ipod, you'll want this years model though... it's a cda-105... from pioneer, i like the deh-p5100ub... which is also a this year model... no matter what brand you buy you'll want to the new usb based units, if there is ever a chance you'll get a new ipod since they dropped from a 12volt to 5volt charging at apple.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

i haven't kept up on the ipods (obviously with my old ass 3rd gen) but i figure i'll be needing a new one in a year or two. I've seen a lot of reviews of the 5000ub working well with iphones, would that mean its a 5v charging friendly? The sub $100 price is hard to beat.

I assume I'm fucked with my firewire ipod for a while?

4. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

if they charge iphone, than they'd work with newer ipods... i have not ran into any new usb based uints, that don't also run the older ipods... that's why i suggest getting as new model year a headunit you could get.