A&P car mount?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by BlackWRX02, Mar 10, 2005.

1. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

anyone have any experience with mounting to the side body panel of a car?

looked a few suction cup mounts but i dunno if i trust them. :noes:

2. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

You don't need to take the pictures at a high speed. long exposure at low speed works. I have a stickypod for basic stuff.

3. BlackWRX02

is it any good? That was one of the ones I was looking at today

4. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

The StickyPod holds pretty well. Haven't used it with my D70 yet though. But with the old F717, it held fine.

Try looking over on http://www.filmtools.com They have a "lightweight" mount that runs about $380 that looks damn sweet.

5. sony

sony Active Member

you might want to get a bit further from the car :o

6. BlackWRX02

what do you mean?
    still mounted to the car, just further out off the body?

7. For the price it should be adjustable.

It looks that way anyways. :dunno:

8. sony

sony Active Member

yeah, you won't get anything good that close to the body :o

9. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

he's talking like more than 5 feet away from the car and not 6"-1' with the stickypod.

[​IMG]

10. I'm thinking that there is not a camera attached to that car. Someone in a different car snapped that pic... :mamoru:

11. sony

sony Active Member

Hes the one that took that picture, I'm sure he knows if there was a mount or not. And there is. :hsugh:

12. :ugh: I see no poles or strings or mounts attached to that car unless he did some serious photoshop work. If there is a mount, the camera was mounted on a different vehicle than the one in the picture........ :ugh:

That pic could have easily been taken from another car without any extra equipment. Cheaper and faster than trying to mount a camera and what not.

I'd love to prove it to you but it's too dam cold outside and I dont feel like having cold wind blowing on my back at any speed right about now. :eek4:

13. I donno where I got this pic but I was thinking BlackWRX02 was trying to capture a pic like this...

[​IMG]

14. sony

sony Active Member

I know you can do tracking shots. :hsugh:

I've seen XtremeSaturn's mount and the before/after pics. :hsugh: It's mounted on the car and photoshopped out. If you're creative with the mount, it might be easier or harder to photoshop out.

15. I found his old thread but the pics are dead :hs: :wtc:

I can kinda see something fishy with the fender now that I examine the pic.. :dunno:

16. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

There's a couple misnomer's going on. I can quarantee you that the shot above would be impossible with the camera from another car (notice the lines on the asphalt). With the wheel turned the car following it would have to match the speed and the same turning radius as the car you are shooting which would be impossible without some kind of computer control going on. Also, it would have to be a completely level surface because if just one of the cars hits a bump that the other doesn't, the shot would end up being blurry. Way to many variables in that one.

I didn't do that great a job with getting the rig out of the shot but it was good enough to test my rig and see if it worked. It's a simple three suction cup design with a monopod zip tied to a 1x3 thats about 6 ft long. I just set it on the hood, hit the timer, run behind the car while it's in neutral and start pushing gently. 9/10 you don't end up shaking the rig so the shot will turn out ok. I'll be doing some rig shots with a friends SR20det powered 240sx tomorrow...can't wait!!!

Here's another shot taken with my rig...
    [​IMG]

The suction cups are realllly strong and have a locking type design that when the handle is closed, it will hold its suction for some time (assuming the surface it's on is clean). I have the 1x3 in the middle of the handles on all three cups so that not only will it hold my rig but it'll also not let the handles on the suction cup's release until I pull it out. Haven't had it drop yet!

18. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

I know you can do shots from other cars, just not while you are turning...seems like way to many variables to get a decent shot.

I wasn't driving the car and neither was the girl in the second example. She was just sitting in the seat while myself and her husband were pushing it from behind. The suction cups are mounted on the hood so I was worried about the vibration from the engine.

19. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

XtremeSaturn has the type of mount I'd like to have at one point.

20. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

It's less than $40 so it's not that big of a stretch. I'd realllly like to get a setup that is similar to the camera rigs they use at concerts, TV shows etc. They have the long boom with a counter weight in the back so you can move everything with just a finger.

21. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

Where was the camera mount atached on the vue?

Yeah, getting the directions I think is my major hurtle. I'm not going to build one until I'm sure I know what I'm doing.

22. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

On the hood going right over the front part of the fender and fascia. I just zip tied my monopod to the end to get a little more extension as well as a means of moving the camera to the angle I want. I might play around with my garage light stand thing I got from sears for $20.....hrrrmmmmmmm

23. Just a suggestion. If you're going to do a similar one with a girl in the driver seat with the window down. Next time put a fan in her lap to blow her hair that'd add alittle extra :cool: too the pic :)