car installation question...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by radfad88, Feb 2, 2008.

1. radfad88

radfad88 The Batman-O-Lantern

I bought a pretty basic Alpine head unit yesterday (CDE 9874) because I just got an iphone and the aftermarket sony I have now doesn't have an aux input or anywhere else to hook up the ipod.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a website that explains how to install an aftermarket head unit when you already have an aftermarket in there now? I'm assuming I can just use the same wiring harness, etc that i have in there but really I have no idea. I didn't want to shell out $50+ for installation if it was a pretty simple job.

any help?

2. TALLandNcharge

TALLandNcharge New Member

I don't know about a website but I can try to help you out. Since there is already an aftermarket radio installed, you have half of what you need. There is an adapter that is plugged into the factory harness that gives you access to all the different wires (you will leave this attached). From those wires, the harness that came with the aftermarket radio (which is plugged into the back of the radio) is attached with either electrical tape or the plastic red things (forgot the name). You will need to cut that harness out and replace it with the harness that came with the Alpine.

If you need any clearity, just ask.

3. radfad88

this seems to make sense so far, I haven't actually cracked it open to look at it yet (I'm at work ATM), but this is about what I had in mind... Once I get the old radio out and go to hook up the Alpine, do I just connect the wires by color using those red clips (I know what clips you're talking about and I have abunch in the garage).

The Alpine radio should come with the wiring harness? I don't need to buy one seperately? If this is true I guess I have all that I need.

Any ideas on how to get the dash part open so I can get the current radio out? I drive a 1996 honda accord.

4. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

Pull out the bottom piece below the radio and look up, their should be 2 screws. Take them out and the radio/ac controls all pull out.

5. radfad88

thanks :wiggle: i'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow when i go at it...

6. TALLandNcharge

Right, just match the colors. Pay attention. There might be a blue and then a blue with a little white stripe. Those are two different colors and the wires serve two different purposes. There also might be some colors you don't use (power antenna, etc.). Just make sure you either rap those unused ends with electrical tape or the red clips. The Alpine should come with the wiring harness.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  7. radfad88

thanks guys! I asked my bf and got a "*shrugs* i dk"... I knew the boys of OT could help!

8. TALLandNcharge

;)

9. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

since you have a radio in there already, i'm gonna guess that you could prolly just pull the whole kit out. either that or there are 2 screws behind the ashtray. do that and match the colors up to the harness already in the car (if you see 2 different shades of green or purple, it's okay, just put them together). it should be really easy.

10. apedog23

apedog23 New Member