Car & Driver Short Take - Hyundai Genesis 2.0T

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Mar 8, 2009.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

Turbo tactics.

[​IMG]

BY AARON ROBINSON
    May 2009

Hyundai knows 210 horsepower in a 3380-pound car won’t astound anyone. It imagines the base Genesis coupe with its 2.0-liter turbocharged four as a blank canvas for tuners and speed-widget makers chasing the young buyers who will be hooked by the turbo’s $22,750 starting price.

One thing is certain: There will be lots of zoom parts available. The 1998cc four is the same basic engine as in the 291-hp Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution, both engines being byproducts of the Global Engine Manufacturing Alliance, a joint venture among Hyundai, Mitsubishi, and Chrysler.

Similarities outweigh the differences, we’re told, between the Evo’s motor and Hyundai’s all-aluminum Theta four with its twin-cam variable valve timing and Mitsubishi TD04H turbo making 15.0 psi. Core components such as pistons and rods should move freely between them, for example. Hyundai’s engine uses a different computer, from Siemens. The software wasn’t intentionally made easy to crack, “but it’s not very tough,” says one Hyundai exec with a wink. That means up to 300 horsepower should be possible without major surgery.

Leave it alone, and the 2.0T with a six-speed manual makes 60 mph in 7.0 seconds and turns the quarter-mile in 15.3 at 92 mph. The throttle calibrations were still rough during our brief drive, so Hyundai decided to withhold full testing until later. The turbo trails the V-6 into the market by a month. Eventually, it’s expected to represent half of coupe sales.

Three trim levels include base, Premium, and Track. All are well equipped, though Premium brings a power driver’s seat, an Infinity stereo, a sunroof, and keyless start. As with the V-6 Track, the 2.0T Track version features a stiffer suspension, 19-inch wheels, Brembo brakes, a limited-slip diff, aluminum pedals, xenon headlamps, fog lights, and rear spoiler. One item available only on the 2.0T Track: red cloth inserts for the black seats.

[​IMG]

C/D TEST RESULTS:
    Zero to 60 mph: 7.0 sec
    Zero to 100 mph: 18 sec
    Zero to 130 mph: 39.5 sec
    Street start, 5–60 mph: 7.7 sec
    Standing ¼-mile: 15.3 sec @ 92 mph
    Braking, 70–0 mph: 161 ft
    Roadholding, 200-ft-dia skidpad: 0.88 g

[​IMG]

2. StylishDOHC

StylishDOHC New Member

not that bad...didn't know they were sharing components with Mitsu.

3. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

quite possibly my next car

4. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

Dudes... the thing is hideous, am i the only one who thinks this? I mean come on, bio design has been out of style for at least 10 years now

5. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

I think it looks great. Saw one in person the other day, and it didn't disappoint me.

Not much of a chance I'll buy one anymore, but at least it looks nice.

6. GTSlow

GTSlow New Member

If I bought one, the first thing I would do is debadge the entire car, followed by a drop and some wheels.

7. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

0 - 60 in 7.0 is not a great starting point.