Car cleaning idiot here. Need help. Lots of it.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Astringent, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Astringent

Astringent Hai!

A little background:

I used to clean cars with a sponge and palmolive dish detergent. Then I got lazy, and I've been running cars through machine car washes. Then I see scratches and go touchless, but that can't clean your car for crap. There is no way I'm going to trust a bunch of joes to clean my car.

So I need to know everything there is to know about cleaning and waxing a car. Also, what to clean windows with (mention windex and I'll smack you, that stuff sucks, and causes serious fogging on the inside).

Rookie here, better start from the beginning. Thanks to all in advance.

I guess bucket and hand methods are probably most useful... I probably won't have access to a hose. I read the other threads... but I just need more information.

2. eightvalve

eightvalve Reformed Lurker Crew #1

First off, using dish soap will strip any wax or polish you have an negates the entire idea of deatiling. Only use that for getting a clean state to start off with. Then i suggest meguires rich suds car wash.

When i detail I start with a layer or two of 3M Imperial Hand Glaze to get rid of swirls. Then a layer of Klasse sealent. Then a few coats of meguires #26 wax. Makes a real good shine.

For tires and black trim i use meguires high endurence tire gel. And i apply it with these little tire sponges you find at any car store. Kragen, etc. And as for windows, i use Stoners Invisible Glass, it come sin a can with a yellow top. It really works awesome.

If you dont have access to a hose go to a coin-op car wash with the high pressure hoses that you use quarters to pay for. Just use the hose on the lower setting.

As for other stuff you should buy. Wax applicators, a wash mitt, i have this one that mae of sheep wooly looking material, and it has this mesh layer on one side, to really scrub if you have to. You should get a good bucket, and a must is a good buttload of 100% cotton terry towels, i feel they work best for buffing wax.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2002
  3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The product list has most of the information you will need. If water access is a problem try Protect All Quick and Easy Wash. It is a non sudsing soap. You just add a couple capfuls to a gallon of water and just wash and dry-no rinsing is needed. Just do a section at a time-I've been using it nearly 9 years. No scratching, no smearing and it won't strip wax. www.protectall.com and follow the links for the Quick and Easy Wash.

eightvalve is absolutely right-use only car wash soap, dish detergent not only strips wax, but it will leech oil from the paint as well, drying it out and damaging the clear coat, or fading a single base coat.

4. Astringent

Astringent Hai!

I'll keep this in mind... will have to put it to practice some other time since it's going to rain soon.

But thanks.

5. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

scottwax - this spring i'm planning on re-detailing the car (after winter) can my first wash be with dishwashing detergent and then wax it?

and at the local "hardware" store they sell meguiar's gold - class liquid wax, it's not high-tech yellow wax but is it any good?

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

It is much better to use a polish to remove old wax than dishwashing detergent. Gold Class is alright-pretty good shine, but it doesn't last very long. High Tech Yellow will last twice as long, and Meguiars #20 Polymer lasts even longer. Pep Boys and Auto Zone usually carry at least a few of the Meguiars Mirror Glaze line products.