Car Cleaning and Waxing Question

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by misterciv, Mar 2, 2003.

1. misterciv

misterciv New Member

I just usually wash my car with gold class soap and after I wax with gold class wax. I get a decent shine.

I dont understand what the deal is, with car polish? Can someone explain? Do you wash, polish, then wax?

What kind of soap, polish, and wax should i use. And what kind of towel should i use? I use reg bath towels thats are 100% cotton.

2. Pats300zx

Pats300zx New Member

I would suggest washing the car with a good car wash soap like Meguiars Gold Class. If you want to remove any old wax that is on the car you can always give it a wash with Dawn dish soap. These are the usual steps:

1) Wash
    2) Clay bar
    3) Polish
    4) Wax

If you have swirl marks that you want removed then you would do that after claying.

There are so many good products on the market to meet your needs. If you want to use a polymer wax that is much more durable than a carnuaba then I would suggest Klasse.

If you want to go the carnuaba route, I would suggest S100.

As far as towels go, I stopped using 100% cotton towels and switched to Micro Fiber towels. They scratch less and and hold the dirt alot better. You can use them for QD'ing, wax removal, glass cleaning, dusting etc.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The reason you polish it to level the paint and improve clarity. Getting rid of surface scratches and minor swirls will do wonders in improving the shine.

Always use the least aggressive product first. Something along the lines of Meguiars Swirl Remover #9 is a good start. Not real strong like a compound, but enough cutting power to remove light to moderate swirls and scratches.

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Don't wash your car with Dawn liquid. There's no reason to.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Agreed. The only legitimate reason I can think of is if you are going to use Zainos since it won't adhere to any old waxes or polishes. Other than that, use the polish to remove old wax.