Car broken into! Need some quick amp advice.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JimDab, Oct 4, 2007.

1. JimDab

JimDab The holiest lurker.

My cheap ugly Civic was broken into and my Alpine head unit and Kenwood 5-Channel amplifier were both stolen (along with a printer I was about to return, doh!)

Anyways, what remains in the car is the following:
    - Infinity Reference 6.5" components speakers in the doors (2 ohm, ~90w RMS)
    - Infinity Reference 6x9 speakers in the rear (2 ohm, ~100w RMS)
    - Alpine Type-S 12" enclosed subwoofer in the trunk (300w RMS, 4ohm dual voice coil = 2 ohms right?)
    - Car is wired for 5 channel amplifier and 5 speakers.

I've never installed my own stuff but I can't really afford to pay someone to install things for me anymore as I have recently quit working to be a full time college student. However, since the car is already wired I just have to plug in the right things in the right places. Not too hard. I just need advice on what are some good products to buy.

I believe that I need:
    - Either a 5-channel amplifier or a 4-channel and a 1-channel amplifier that are each 2 ohm stable.
    - A head unit. What do I look for in a head unit? Quality brand, preouts, and the features I want?

What kind of amplifier should I get is my biggest concern! Are there any good 2 ohm stable amps that can do around 90x4/300x1 RMS? Or anything even close to that. My last amplifier put out something like 60x4/175x1 RMS (was 800w max).

Also, is the installation going to be pretty straightforward? I've taken out my amplifier and head unit before and put it back no problem, but I've never installed a new amplifier or head unit. The wiring is all set up from my old sound system.

I JUST WANT A GOOD CLEAN ROCKIN' AND BUMPIN' SYSTEM! Thanks for any help.

2. DJ Cripsen

DJ Cripsen New Member

You never mentioned what your budget is?

3. JimDab

I really don't want to set a budget since my speakers aren't able to handle too much power anyways. I believe I know which head unit I want now. The Alpine CDA 9887 is similar to the one that I was robbed of and I loved that one. The MediaXpander button always sounded so nice and the whole system was nice sounding for the price I spent on it.

I narrowed down some amps and I'd love some input if anyone can offer some. I found some of these at amazon and others at sonicelectronix.com

All are 5 channel amplifiers and RMS ratings:
    -Infinity Reference 5350a ----- 60x4 + 300x1 @ 2 ohms (list price 399, their price 234)
    -MB Quart PAB 5400 ----- 80x4 + 300x1 @ 2 ohms (list price 549, their price 279)
    -Kicker KX700.5 ----- 85x4 + 210x1 @ 2 ohms (list 599, now 359)
    -Memphis Belle 16-MCH600 MClass ----- 75x4 + 200x1 @ 2 ohms (list 699, now 399)
    -----------------------------------------------

Any input as to which would sound the best on my Reference speakers and Type-S subwoofer?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2007
  4. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

Head unit with 3 pre-out sets.

5. JimDab

I'm about to take the plunge and buy Alpine CDA-9887 and Infinity Reference 5350a.

My 4 speakers are all 2 ohm, and my subwoofer is a 4ohm dual voice coil. THIS IS THE RIGHT AMPLIFIER RIGHT?

Thanks again.

6. JimDab

NOT THAT ANYONE READS THIS THREAD... BUT:

I just bought the Infinity Reference 5350a amplifier...

... and a Clarion DXZ775USB head unit!

I was so close to buying the Alpine CDA-9887 but I found the clarion to have higher voltage preamp outputs and a USB input for MP3s! I can use any USB device with a FAT filing system. I can use my 40gig enclosed 2.5" laptop harddrive if I want and leave it permanently installed in my car with a zillion songs. WOW I HOPE THIS WORKS. If it maxes out the amount of songs at a certain amount, I will still enjoy using my flash drive instead of CDs.

Anyways, I just had to share. Thanks for all your help everyone, I couldn't have done it without your wise input. :p

7. JimDab

btw: ebay ftw!

8. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

9. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I'm going to have to agree with veonake if you do make a change or upgrade I would highly recommend an eD amp. I have their NINE.1 and it is amazing quality for the price.

10. JimDab

Wow eD amp is a powerful amp. I already did make the purchase of the infinity amp, but wouldn't that eD be dangerousely powerful for my speakers? I would be afraid to blow them going over the rms by so much.

I finally got everything installed but I had to go out and didn't get a chance to figure out how to adjust the clarion head or the infinity amp.

I can't wait to put on my 40 GB portable drive in my car permanently. I got the USB cable going from the head unit to the glove box. And I found that the head unit supports up to 65025 mp3/aac/wma files using a FAT32 file system. Too bad i can barely fit 8000 (thats eight thousand!) songs on my dinky little hard drive!

Lets see if this actually works now. Ill update with the results soon.