Car audio - wtf help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by KGB ate my bread, Mar 19, 2007.

1. KGB ate my bread

KGB ate my bread Made you look. OT Supporter

:mad:

Cliffs at bottom of post :o

Well, last Friday, I tried to re-hook up all my shit using 4ga. wire instead of the 8ga. kit I had. I did this because the 8ga power wire for the amp was corroded, as well as the shitty blade fuse for it.

It was toast.

So, I hook shit up last Friday. No dice. I realized what I believed to be my problem, and it was that my fuse was in my trunk, which was nowheres near my battery to even be effective. I also believe this to be my error since my amp wouldn't get out of protected mode, and upon later inspection, both 20w fuses were blown.

Anyways, I remedy this by putting my fuse closer to my battery. I also decide to finally go ahead and hook up my 1 farad capacitor. With everything said in done, I unhook my amp from the cap, and plug in the fuse to make sure that my cap is hooked up correctly. The 60A glass fuse blows up immediately, and burns my finger since I didn't realize it had gotten hot.

So, what's not set up right? Here are pics:
    My trunk.
    [​IMG]

Location of fuse.
    [​IMG]

Me holding fuse to show how close it is to the terminal.
    [​IMG]

My two grounds (amp and cap) which are BOTH grounded to the bolt that holds in my spare tire (used this ground previously, and it works)
    [​IMG]

Another shot of my trunk.
    [​IMG]

Cliffs:
    Go to 4ga from 8ga since 8ga was corroded and HAD to be replaced.
    Put fuse too far from battery previously.
    This was why my amp wouldn't leave protected mode.
    Inspected things again, and both 20w fuses on the amp were blown.
    Re-ran my power wire with fuse closer to the battery terminal.
    Hooked up only my capacitor to make sure I hooked it up right (didn't come with instructions, so it doesn't mention which terminal is +/-)
    Plug in fuse, and it blows.
    What do I need to re-do before I buy new fuses and potentially ruin those?

Thanks in advance. Duplicate post in the main forum is here: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?p=73846739#post73846739

2. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Try wiring without the capacitor. If that doesn't solve the problem, then you have to have some kind of short somewhere, but I have a feeling the cap is the source of your problem.

3. KGB ate my bread

I've never used the cap before this. Well, I did,b ut I set it up wrong. I didn't realize that the cap had to be grounded. So, what I did when I was running 8ga wire was connect the positive to it, and had the other post (Which was probably the ground) going to my amp. Given that my amp was still being powered, and working, I assumed I had it set up right till someone told me otherwise on OT.

Would having done this fucked up the cap? It's never been used prior to this.

4. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

It could have. I would start by running the power wire straight to the amp. If it works, then you know the cap is the problem.

5. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Ditch the cap entirely. It is completely unnessicary in 99 out of 100 cases. I know it sounds stupid, but are you positive you connected the leads to the correct terminals? If the polarity on the amp is reversed it is set to blow which ever fuse will blow first. :)

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

could just be that your amp has failed. seen it alot in those planet amps. is yours still under the 5 yr warranty?

7. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

i've never heard of any planet amps dying except the 2250watt series... I've owned about 8 and never had one issue

8. Bowers & Wilkins

Bowers & Wilkins New Member

im pretty sure the cap doesnt need to be grounded, ive never used one, but according to basic electronics, theres an input and an output for your positive wire. if you dont know how to hook it up properly, do some research or completely leave it out

9. lightsareout

lightsareout New Member

its because you have ground wire coming off the positive post...

10. GammaRadiation

No kidding about not having an Ava people ignore you.

Capacitors only help with dynamic draws, unless you are running a ton of power for your front stage (such as a very large active set up) or if you have a seriously wimpy alternator a cap will do nothing but add another load to your electrical system. Removeing it will make wiring easier for people who are new to doing this sort of stuff.

Caps DO have to be grounded if you think that you need one. The capacitor is a storeage for the entire electrical system. Connect a battery hot to the capacitor and from the same lead as a battery hot connect the amp. Then ground the other lead of the capacitor. Preferably near the amp's ground. Essentially the capacitor is wired in parallel with your amplifer and battery. If you are connecting the capacitor in series with your amplifer that is your problem. You have put an excesively large ammount of resistance between your amp and its source of power. You would need an excessively large capacitor bank for that sort of wiring to be used. A good kilofarad or two would work.

11. KGB ate my bread

UPDATE!

Everything is wired right, except for maybe the cap :o
    Everything works, except for maybe the cap, though I heard it make noises before my fuse would go.

Here's my problem:
    Power wire is hot, the amp and cap aren't grounded.
    I ground the amp, the fuse doesn't blow, everything is fine.
    I ground the cap secondly, and the sparks fly. Bloops.

Anyways, I blew both glass fuses I bought :mad: so I'm going to pick up another later.

I think I'm going to leave the cap ungrounded for now, and go back to how I had things set up previously with the fuse located in the trunk, simply because it'll be less complications to my setup.

Going to ask the guy when I go to the audio shop what he might think would be causing the fuse to blow.

I know, the cap isn't necessary, but it's a 1 farad audiobahn (1ACP3? or something) and I picked it up for 30$ when I bought my tweeters. BEing that I do get some headlight dimming, I wouldn't mind it running for that reason alone. Alas, I can concede and admit that I don't need it what so ever.

But yeah, everything works fine, sounds great when it works, I just can't ground my cap without my fuse blowing.

12. KGB ate my bread

This I don't know. I'm going to buy more than one glass fuse today to check.

and why the fuck aren't the posts labled to begin with? And also, why wouldn't audio-bahn mention which posts are which on the box at least?

The only thing I also don't understand is that there was some small little light diode thingy that came with the cap, that I've never done anything with.

Here is a pic of that:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  13. GammaRadiation

14. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

the light is to charge the cap! lol, unhook the 12v+, ground the cap, the put that light inline with the power wire. leave it in place until the light "goes out" . your cap is now charged, so hook everything up properly, and you should stop having problems. my guess is that you are pulling so much current thru the fuse to "instant charge" the cap, that it is spiking way above the 60 amp fuse rating and causing it to blow.

15. Create

Create :free at last:

This is a very likely theory.

Lights, resistors, fuses, etc. don't have labels because they are not directional in a circuit....or were you saying that the cap doesn't have labels? If you've got the cap in backwards the amp shouldn't power.

16. KGB ate my bread

lol

well, fuck

I feel really dumb now.

EDIT: So I'm supposed to put the bulb in line where the fuse was previously?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  17. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

10-4 captain. :bigthumb: and once the light goes out, put your fuse back in.

edit: i didn't get it the first time i tried to install a cap. i was like WTF?!!?!? HOW DOES IT WORK?!?!? :o

18. KGB ate my bread

light doesn't burn out.

it just gets hot enough to burn the fuck out of my fingers.

I think I'm going to try and find someone with a power supply thing that plugs into a wall and charges the cap.

19. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

it takes a few minutes. depending on how big, it can take up to 10

20. KGB ate my bread

damn..

guess I need to find some insulated gloves or use something to hold it in place.

21. trism

trism New Member

dude. dont worry about the cap. serious.

now, im going to give you a run down of how the system should be wired..

First Disconnect the Negative battery terminal!!!!

1.from battery +, 4ga to fuse holder, put in a 60A fuse, no more than 16 inches from the battery.
    2. run your 4ga to the amp. dont connect it!!!
    3. get your ground. find a new spot on the car, and take all the paint off, down to bare metal. attach the ground. then attach this to the amp. then attach the ground to the amp
    4. attach the positve to the amp.
    5. reconnect the battery

22. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

take the fuse holder out, then shove the bulb leads into the power wire. just enough to hold it in place while charging. or rig it in the fuse holder some how. it's ok to rig this, you aren't going to leave it in there.

23. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

why does this matter if you've already unhooked the ground? (which, btw, not many installers do. we know not to put the fuse in until ready to power the system up)

24. rocklee

rocklee New Member

I'm thinking the same, your amp is toast.:sadwavey:

25. KGB ate my bread

it's not :o