Car Audio Wire

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by midnite, Jul 28, 2003.

1. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

Is there any difference between brands like Monster cable, Scosche, streetwires, rockford fosgate etc? Anything to look for when buying a kit? thanks :)

2. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Not much difference between brands, just in the level of quality. If you have a higher end system, you are better off with better wire. If you are running factory speakers, or a low end amp/speakers, don't spend too much extra on the better patch cables unless you plan on upgrading in the future. That is my $.02 anyway. The Monster Cable's Micro XLN cable is just as good as their 401 XLN series.

3. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

If you want bigass power/ground wire, its hard to beat 1/0 gauge welding cable. www.weldingsupply.com is your friend.

But for normal stuff I don't think it makes a damn bit of difference whether you use overpriced "premium" wires or cheaper stuff. The strand count is what important but there's usually not much of a difference enough to matter.

4. midnite

midnite OT Supporter

This will be 4 gauge wire. Probably overkill but oh well. Im adding a Image Dynamics ID12v.3 and probably a US Acoustics USX600D pretty soon which puts out 375 rms. I already have Alpine Type R components powered by a JBL P80.4 that puts out 40x4 rms @4 ohms.

5. Pac00799

Pac00799 Death is a very dull, dreary affair, and my advice

I always used Stinger or Lightning Audio wire.