Car Audio situation.....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by reminisce, Apr 2, 2007.

1. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

ok, quick background. i drive an 03 pathfinder. i used to have a pretty nice setup, alpine headunit, infinity speakers in each door, 2 kicker S12L7's with a jbl amp, and a 4ch jbl amp to each door speaker. everything got stolen a year ago though.

so now i have a pioneer flip-out LCD, and still have the infinity kappas in the doors. i want to get a sub to make the audio sound better, but am not looking for anything crazy this time since im not tryin to waste alot of money.

i was thinking of sticking with the solobarics, and just getting one L7 (havent decided on whether at 12" or a 15")

i have been out of the car audio loop for a good while now, and am unsure of what the deal is. i know solobarics arent the greatest quality sub on the market, but i like their bang for the buck. are they still decent quality subs or could kicker have gone down the shithole?

any good amps on the market for good prices? do you guys reccomend this setup (1 sub and 1 amp) for someone looking for a good sound but minimalize the price as much as possible?

thx in advance.

2. Create

Create :free at last:

Maybe your tastes differ, but a 15" sub in a Pathfinder (having no rear seat wall) seems like overkill.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

overkill is not a word found in the vocabulary of stereo enthusiasts.

4. Create

How about: "unable to acheive acceptable sound quality at acceptable volume levels." That's extreme, but I'd still run 12 for better response and hopefully a bit less efficiency.

5. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

see thats what i was wondering about.. if it would be too much or not.. but at the same time do you think one 12" will be sufficient for a truck? i had two 12's and it sounded amazing. before that i had one 12" adire audio brahma and it really wasnt sufficient for a truck. maybe one solobaric will be different?

appreciate the input.

6. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

nope. do the 15

7. slod16

slod16 New Member

Fuck the 15's. 15's sound like shit imo. I really depends on what type of music you listen to the most. Solo's are nice subs, but with my experience with them the 10's and 12's are quite good. I've had some problems with the 15's, but a lot of that probably has to do with the owners. I personally like JL's W7's. Alpine's Type X subs fucking pound when they are in the right enclosure. I also really like the IDMAX. What ever you do just don't go with Rockford Fosgate.

8. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: wow, say hello to the internet fanboy. i bet you did a search a caraudio.com to find your answers to this thread. but you forgot the adire brahma, RE XXX, and Fi subs.

9. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

w7's are amazing but a little more than i would like to spend...

what kind of enclosure should type x's go into?

and what about audiobahn subs, are they legit or garbage?

10. reminisce

reminisce OT Supporter

i had a brahma, the sq was amazing. all the high end shit is more than i would like to spend

11. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

so much wrong with this post... if you can't make a 15" sound good, you don't need to be installing or talking about audio... solo's are power hungry, and you need a lot to make them sound right... fosgate isn't that bad, and the new stuff makes me giggle... and it's been awhile since i had the giggles from fosgate.

12. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

this made me giggle. :mamoru:

13. Create

We're coming down to personal preference, tbh.

Since a pathfinder is essentially a large box the bass is likely to be a bit 'boomy' already. I'd use a sealed box to get better control.

I think that two 6x9's and a 10" sub sounds great in my sedan (of course there's fronts). It's more than enough bass. For you, maybe more, but then there's no obstructions in the Pimpfinder like there were in the truck.

14. Ronin

Ronin Guest

:hsugh:

15. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

I love my Brahma 15... that would definitely be enough for anyone unless they are a SPL freak