Car Audio Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by JasinS, Apr 21, 2008.

1. JasinS

JasinS Active Member

So I was trolling around a corvette forum and found out that my factory amps run at 1ohm... my question, is there any 8" subwoofers that can be run at say 50w/1ohm? And are there any 4" speakers that can do the same?? Im confused and not that great with this stereo stuff yet :hs: any help would be awesome

2. VenomousSVT

VenomousSVT New Member

well your impedance level is based on the driver itself. You speaker would either be a 2/4/6 ohm driver. So to get a 1 ohm load and get your rms power from the amp you would need to run 2 2ohm speakers. 1 ohm subs aren that easy to come by, well at least the last time I was shopping for car audio.

besides, how were you expecting to wire up you factory amps to run a subwoofer. The vette doesnt have a stock 8" sub does it?

3. JasinS

JasinS Active Member

no it has 2 rear 6.5" speakers.... I just noticed that a 8" wont fit into it :hs: I was just seeing if I could find 2 rear speaker that would run ok at 1ohm so I dont have to rewire the whole damn stereo

4. JasinS

JasinS Active Member

I know that a 2ohm dvc speaker wired in parallel would work but I'm not thinking they make those kind of speakers this small

5. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

How small? 8"?

http://www.audiopulse.com/products/subwoofer-drivers/epic

The first driver that came to mind. With a little research more can be found. If you contact some smaller companies directly they may even be able to build you a custom sub.

Granted you are falling around 500w (or 10dB) short of the driver's normal capeability with reccomended amplification...but it works.

As far as 6.5" subs go, I dont think you could get two 2ohm drivers or 2 dual 4ohm drivers though there may be one out there.

6. VenomousSVT

VenomousSVT New Member

you might consider running an mb quart 6" midbass driver as well then

7. JasinS

JasinS Active Member

I found some 6.5" infinity kappas that are 2ohm... Any idea how they would sound if I were to hook them up to a 1ohm amp?

8. JasinS

JasinS Active Member

I think the 8" is out of the question now, I think I may try to find a nice 6.5" for the rear and some 5.25" for the front :dunno: Since no company makes a 1ohm speaker I might try a 2ohm and hope its not super quiet

9. VenomousSVT

VenomousSVT New Member

just check to make sure your speakers you are replaceing arent internally crossed over in the amp... those systems are probably not full range for the 6.5" drivers. The stock setup probably uses them as solely a woofer and the mids and highs are from another speaker.

also if the existing drivers are wired to give a 1 amp load doesnt mean you have to put another 1 amp load on them. Try and figure out the stability of the amp, it may be 1 ohm to 16 ohm stable. If thats the case you can wire a 2 ohm driver on it, you would just lose some power output of the amp.

10. tjamz

tjamz New Member

Get a couple RE Audio XXX6.5 components and just ditch the tweeters. Long excursion, 2 ohm each, amazing sounding.

11. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

rockford made a 6" sub at one point, as well as JL. The RF sub number was 3406, but that's a single 4 ohm config. I don't remember if they made a dvc version. the JL sub is a 6W0, which i know also came in the svc 4 ohm. don't know about dvc on that one either.

12. VenomousSVT

VenomousSVT New Member

good info

its a shame they didnt offer a 1 ohm 6W7 that would hold 750 watts....LOL:naughty: