Car audio problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by stevomack, Oct 16, 2007.

1. stevomack

stevomack Big Shot Bob ftmfw

SO, im driving along and all the sudden the music stops, the deck shows its still playing, but i cant hear shit, and even when my car is on, the power lights to my amps are off.....whats the problem?

2. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Simplest explanation = amp remote lead is disconnected, broken, shorted, etc.
    With everything playing, use a speaker cable or something similar to connect your amp remote terminal directly to the 12V power terminal..if that solves the issue and turns your amps on, replace the lead...or check the connections at the amp/head first I suppose.

3. stevomack

stevomack Big Shot Bob ftmfw

yeah thanks for the help but....that seemed like a different language

4. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

OK :hs:

Your amps have power (bigger red), ground (bigger black), and remote (smaller, typically blue). The remote is a 12V trigger lead turned on by your deck (head unit) so your amps are only on whenever it tells them to be...so they don't sit idle and kill your battery while the car is off and what not.

There's nothing special about it. It's just 12V...only it's low current, and switched on/off by the deck. So if you use something to hook it up to a constant 12V source (the big red power cable, usually right next to it anyway), your amps should turn on, tunes should start back up in a second or two.

If this fixes it, your deck is either not sending a remote signal (burned out the lead..which can happen), or is but it isn't getting to the amp...the cable is broken, shorted somewhere (leading to burning out the deck probably), or is just connected poorly at the deck or the amp.

If the amps have power, ground and doing this doesn't turn em on, you have bigger problems. But start here :)

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

first thing i'd check is the fuse under the hood.

edit: assuming you have all the speakers amped.

6. spark plugs.

spark plugs. beautiful. OT Supporter

:werd:

7. spark plugs.

spark plugs. beautiful. OT Supporter

get a test light or multimeter to assure that your power terminals and remote terminal on the amps are getting powered.