car audio problems

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hairy Gorilla, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

So I've got a alpine 9857 deck that was profressionally installed probably a year ago into my acura integra. About 2 months ago I had circuit city :)mamoru:) install some JL speakers and tweaters into my car. What I thought would be an easy swapout. Everything seemed ok until just this week. I'll be listening to my cd player/ipod/radio/whatever, and then the sound just goes out completely. Sometimes it comes back, sometimes not. When it does come back it is sometimes kinda gradual, like I'll hear some crackling in the speakers, then it comes back. Othertimes it just goes in and out cleanly. I don't want to say it is the deck, b/c it happens no matter what the sound source is, and when on the cd player, for instance, it just keeps on playing. Like I can see the seconds just keep going. Should I just call up circuit city and tell them they fucked something up? Has anyone had this problem before?

Thanks

2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

they probably have a wire grounding out somewhere... have them check it out.

3. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

Thanks. I'm pretty sure they said their installs have lifetime warranty. I'll give them a ring after work. Hopefully get it taken care of.

4. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

So I took it in this weekend to a different circuit city than where I had it installed. Turned out one of the speakers was jamming into the body of the car, causing it to ground out. While they were in there, they told me I had one of the worst installs they had ever seen. Apparently my tweeters had been HOT GLUED into the door panel. They said when they lifted off the door panel, the tweeters feel out. I was fucking pissed. I called the circuit city back in atlanta that did the install, but they really didnt give a shit since I was only on the phone and not in person.

On a good note, they remounted/rewired everything and it all sounds much better now. No more grounding out issues anymore.

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

that's not really too uncommon. you'd be surprised how much adhesive is used in installs. our shop manager held stock in GE Clear 1 silicone he used so much of the shit.

6. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

Well if they are going to do that then at least use some sort of adhesive that will hold them in place permanently. They said they fell out after taking off the door panel...They do come with mounting brackets for a reason, right?

7. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

You too?

Lol...

8. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:mamoru: customers used to get in cars and go "what's that strong smell?"

9. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

HAHAHAHA, it'll go away in a day.... :ugh:

10. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

or 4.......weeks. when i glassed the spare tire tub in my buddy's mustang, you could smell silicone for weeks.

Edit: that's from sealing the wood to the body before 'glass.