car audio people help!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fade, Aug 4, 2005.

1. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

ok so i have two oem units for my car and i need some help :naughty:

whats the difference between the two? i dont know these signs :wtc:

first one
    [​IMG]

second one
    [​IMG]

what do the differences in the numbers mean? is the second one shitty cause it sounds worse than the first :o :o :o

thx :wiggle:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2005
  2. JaJae

JaJae New Member

V = voltage from the battery.

The second is the ohms, or the resistence in the output power from the amp

And the A is the amps. The higher amperage means it's putting out more power to your speakers.

The first one should sound better going by nothing other than what's shown here.

3. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

thanks for the response. few more questions. excuse the audio n00b :noes:
    btw, the 1st unit is the original, 2nd unit i purchased :hs:

so the lower ohms/amps of the second unit is because it's from a oem "premium sound" with infinity speakers and an external amp right?

because my car did not have an external amp, the combination of the second unit and my speakers were shitty?

now for a solution :o
    i noticed that the second unit is 2ohms, while my original was 4ohms. will the combination of a 2ohm headunit with 4ohm speakers work? (my rear speakers are 4ohms, not sure about the fronts or the tweeters.)

is it possible to add an amp in combination with the second unit for it to my car for it to sound good with my existing speakers?? or is this not possible? (my stock speakers are rated at 20watts min/40watts max :o :o :o )

all i wanted was a cd/tape player but now its so complicated :wtc: possibly wasted 63 dollars :sadwavey:

4. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

If you use your 2nd unit, your system will probably play at a REALLY low volume. You could add an external amp but then you are running into a cost issue. I'm assuming you want to go as cheap as possible since you are swapping out one factory deck for another.

What car do you have? If its a honda, you could use your tape deck (I'm assuming you have one) with an Alpine CD changer. OR you can just buy a Clarion MP3 deck for $100, seeing you've already spent more than 1/2 of that so far :)

5. JDub

JDub New Member

It looks like the 2 ohm rating on the second one means that it can handle 2 ohm speakers. You can put 4 ohm speakers on it, but, by rule of thumb, it'll probably be putting out about half the power it would to 2 ohm speakers.

As for amping the stock speakers to make them sound better, it really depends on the speakers... For instance, Toyota uses crappy paper cone speakers that wouldn't sound good regardless what you amp them with. Some other manufacturers use nicer speakers though.

Many amps have line level inputs which allow you to hook the speaker outputs (+ -) of a stock amp to the line level inputs on the amp. The other option is to use a line level converter which converts the + - speaker outputs on your stock headunit to RCA outputs so that you can use RCAs to traditionally connect to the amp.

If you want to try amping the stock speakers, a good amp would be a Soundstream A4, if you can find one. They're discontinued, so it'll probably be cheap, they're tiny, and they're 25x4 so it's just about right for your stock speakers.