Car Audio n00b / Amp Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DJ-phYre, Apr 7, 2004.

1. DJ-phYre

DJ-phYre New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    I recently purchased Audiobahn AW1251T subwoofers in a dual bandpass box. Now all I am looking for an amp.

The sub specs:

400 RMS - 800 RMS MAX

The box is pre-wired for 2 ohms so I am wanting go with that.

I was told you can cut the wattage in half when using a bandpass box rather than a sealed box.

I was looking at this new Punch amp that was at a local audio shop... I can seem to find it on the Rockford Fosgate site, but I believe it was a 900w ... would this be sufficient for these subs?
  2. 04

04 Guest

Actually, your power handling would be higher with a bandpass box than a sealed one. A bandpass enclosure can be made to be more OR less efficient than a sealed one though, so in general you can't say.

The punch amp at the audio shop would probably work fine, but RF's amps's this year have significantly overrated power ratings, meaning you probably will get half that (or less) power.
  3. On_One

On_One Guest

Their RMS ratings are dead on. Their build quality may not be what it was yearsago but they yet to fall into the trend of rating their amps for max power.
  4. 04

04 Guest;f=6;t=000640#000000

You're right though, It looks like the new products do conform to their ratings :cool:

I think it must have been just last years "punch" line amps that were like that. I doubt the "power" line would have overrated power listings.
  5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

Jul 15, 2001
    some amp companies are already putting out CEA-2006 standard compliant products currently... i'd look for one of those, if you want what it says on the box. :o