Car audio: Ideas for a budget-to-decent setup for listening to rock music?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by violator, Oct 13, 2005.

1. violator

violator New Member

I bought my car with some stuff and it's been doing ok.

But lately I've been wanting to play my music louder without getting it getting distorted. When I'm driving on the freeway I have to choose between barely being able to hear my music or to hear it but with some nasty mids and highs.

I mostly listen to Tool, and even though it'll have some ocassional double-bass, I don't really mind whether or not I can feel it. I'd just rather have the songs be clear enough and loud at the same time.

I bought my car used, and it came with a 8" Sony sub and a Alpine amp - stock deck :ugh: I bought a Pioneer 7700MP myself later.

Any suggestions on what to buy? Also what settins to use? I was thinking maybe just get some really good speakers for the front doors and thats it? What do you guys think?

---------------------------------------------

Here's the specs for what I have now.

Amp: Alpine 3541

40watts x 2 @ 4ohms
    50watts x 2 @ 2ohms
    100wats x1 @ 4ohms
    Signal to noise ratio is 105dbA

Sub: Sony 8" XS-L82P5

Size: 8 -inch
    Impedance: 4 ohms
    Cone Material: Polypropylene
    Surround Material: Rubber
    Sealed Box Volume (cubic feet): 0.36
    Ported Box Volume (cubic feet): 0.5
    Port diameter (inches): 2.625
    Port length (inches): 11.75
    Free-Air: No
    Dual Voice Coil: No
    Sensitivity: 87dB
    Frequency Response: 30 - 1k Hz
    RMS Power Range (Watts): 40-220
    Peak Power Handling (Watts): 900
    Vas (liters): 11.9
    Fs (Hz): 43
    Qts: 0.48
    Xmax (millimeters): 2.7

CD Deck: Pioneer DEH-P7700MP

RMS Power Output 22 watts
    Peak Output 50 watts
    RMS Power Bandwidth 50-15kHz
    Preamp Voltage 2.2 volts

Last edited: Oct 14, 2005
  2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

id go with a 10inch sub by image dynmaics in a sealed enclosure for the bass end of it

3. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

A budget would help.

4. violator

violator New Member

okay after doing some "research" i think i want to spend $100-250 on speakers to put in my front door only, and possibly change my amp.

it is true that most component systems are too "shrill" for most people though?

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

no

6. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I hope you don't want to include the amp into that budget. For $250 you can do pretty well on speakers though. My advice would be to go to a car stereo place that sells speakers that go up to around $400 or so and listen to them with a cd that you know very well. Some "good" brands to look for (although it's doubtful that a store will carry more than a few of these) are boston, cdt, dls, focal, mb quart, polk. That's a very brief list. Audition these and find what you like best. From there go on ebay and get yourself a big discount (hence why I say listen to $400 retail speakers).

As for the amp, I do recommend changing it, only because you listen to Tool and probably like to get it loud sometimes. 40watts is not very much for most component systems. I'd say in general get something that puts out closer to 100 watts/channel @ 4 ohms. Alpine is not a bad brand but they are expensive.

As for the "shrill" of components. Where that comes from is people that don't like metal dome tweeters. I have mixed feelings about them, sometimes I like them, other times I don't. If you find yourself thinking the speakers are too harsh, ask the salesmen to attenuate the tweeter in the crossover (any good component set will have adjustments for the tweeter, usually something like -3,0,+3 dB). If this doesn't help switch to a different model that uses silk domes.

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

you can also listen to some diamond D6 components. they have silk or aluminum tweeters. I've found that aluminum on -6 dB attenuation sounds killer. put around 100-150 watts on them with a quality amp and you should be rockin. i agree with the 10" sub setup, maybe a good, cheap DVC in a sealed box and around 400 watts would have you right around where you want to be (i suspect). budget is a little higher (maybe $750-$1000) but it would be worth it. If you just want to run stuff off of the deck, i'd look at coaxials all the way around, since front door speakers in most cases are mounted so low that your leg will attenuate the tweeter. I'm a fan of kickers and alpines (type R). the kickers are more efficient and will work great off of the deck's power. The alpines will sound good, but will be a little underpowered.

8. violator

violator New Member

okay i think i'm just going to get four 50 watt $100 alpine coaxial speakers, and a alpine 50 watts x 2 @ 4 amp for $133 to power just the fronts...

its cheap, i know but i think it'll get the job semi-done.

9. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Leave your back speakers alone. Get a component set for the front.

10. violator

violator New Member

it'd like to but i dont think i can afford the cost of installation right now... i was going to install the coaxials myself... components seem like a whole other deal though to install