Car audio gurus, help!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gen5_EG, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Gen5_EG

Gen5_EG :)

Okay, my system consists of the following:

(4) Kenwood coaxes in the stock locations front and rear
    (1) Digital Designs 12" Sub
    (1) Rockford Fosgate Punch 401S Amp
    (1) MTX T280 Amp
    (1) Alpine CDE 9815 Deck
    (1) Optima Yellow Top

While having this setup, I have been through 3 batteries already. First battery was an SVR, second was a yellow top, and now my yellow top seems to be not doing it.

I tried to start the car this morning, and I just heard a clicking noise. I jumped it with my dad's car and it started immediately. Let it rev for awhile. Then turned it off, removed the jumpers, then tried to start it again. Clicking noise and not starting.

Is there an issue with my alternator not being able to handle the two amps, etc.? Or is my electrical system in need of beefing up to handle? I'm clueless when it comes to car audio.

2. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Sounds like a problem with the charging system itself. Is there anything installed that remains on while the vehicle is off?

A battery will not just die while the car is off, unless it is being drained.

Electrical system steps: (I recommend)
    1. Big3
    Add the following wires using at least 4awg, I recommend using 1/0
    Alternator lead to Battery positive
    Battery Negative to chassis ground
    Battery negative to engine block ground
    2. Replace stock battery with a deep cycle (Like a yellow top, which you've done)
    3. Upgrade your alternator, look into a High Output Alternator... but also look at idle amperage.
    www.mean-green.com
    www.ohiogenerator.com
    www.h-o-alternators.com

I also recommend Iraggi alternators.

In all honesty though, the equipment you're using should not be THAT much of a strain on the eletrical... I'd look into other causes... and check over your installation.

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

how often is your battery dying? every few days or every day? are you competent with a multi-meter? if so, let us know and there are a few things you can do. if not, take it to a good audio/electrical shop (not just your average mechanic) and they can probably trace down the drain.

the steps the ngsm listed are also great help, but I don't recommend them until you get the problem fixed.

Oh, and Dominique builds killer alternators. He's pretty cool to deal with also. Great customer/warranty service.

edit: Ohio is pretty good also. Gus is always helpful

4. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Got these installed on my friend Jason's caprice about 2weeks ago :)...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

180 Amp GM Large Case and 240amp HO GM Larger Case...

His stock setup was a single small case GM alternator. Dominick custom fabricated a series of brackets for this new setup. hehe... ;)

But yeah... I'd make sure you get to the root of the problem first... something must be pulling some current while the car is off...

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:mamoru: at custom air intake.....

6. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Indeed. He'll be doing a conversion on the intake next weekend... :)

7. Gen5_EG

Okay, I took it to a shop and they said that it's drawing a total of about 38mA while sitting when nothing is on. As soon as they pulled the amp wire, it went down to about 21mA draw. So they said the problem is the amp. As I am no expert in car audio, why is the amp drawing current at all when the car is OFF? Is this a problem with the installation of the shop that I took it to?

8. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

does your amp turn off when you turn your car off?

9. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

38 milliamps shouldn't kill your car battery. how often is your car dying?

10. Gen5_EG

I'm not sure, I think it does. I know that the light turns off from the amps if I'm seeing correctly. I mean, I can't think of anything else that would be aside from the amps and the Alpine. Nothing else in my car has any power to it. I mean no pwr windows or locks which shouldn't matter either. But, I'm not sure. I'll have to go and test again. But when it comes to audio, I have no clue.

However, my car is dying every year pretty much like clockwork. Like I said before, I've had 3 batteries in there already. Actually, today will be 4 total. How strange and I've never had this problem before. But, ever since I put in the second amp (Rockford) i've been having starting issues in which the start is hesitant and a rough idle for about 5-10 seconds than it idles normally.

11. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

If you have a multimeter, watch the voltage on the battery over the course of a few days. Check it in the morning before you start it up, or after prolonged periods of time w/o driving it. If you notice a drain, take out the fuses for your amps (the ones right near the battery) and then check the voltage on the battery every so often to see if it continues.

Sometimes the best way to diagnose something like this is trial and error.