car audio gurus give me some advice on my system

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by adidas1882, May 17, 2005.

1. adidas1882

adidas1882 do it do it do it

2. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

how about some kick panels, door speakers alone lack good imaging.

3. denim

denim New Member

looks like a great system, but I feel you could save a ton of money and run different subs and amplifers and get just as good performance

4. walman7

walman7 "Did you hurl in my shoe?"

three w7?? --overkill! are you competing?

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

umm 3 w7s huh? unless you are competing you are wasting tons and tons of money.

you should also be feeding them more than a 500.1 a piece, they should be running about 1000+ a piece.

i also heard farad caps are a scam, all you really need is a good alternator and a huge deep cycle battery.

why are you putting 6.5s AND 5.25s in a boxed enlcousre in the front? bad idea, just get a good 2 or 3 way system and judging by what you have posted already you should be able to get them custom installed.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2005
  6. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

the 6.5s are for the doors and 5 1/4s in some kicks.

7. chewymang

chewymang New Member

pro 6.5s, pro 4s and the tweet in the front doors

8. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Yea, you don't need 3 10w7's unless you are entering competitions, in which case you probably would want 1000watts to each one. I think you would be more than fine with a single 10w7 and a 1000/1 or 500/1 (500 more watts won't even come close to doubling the loudness). Ronin is also right about the caps, you don't need them. Upgrade your alternator and battery. It seems you are pretty much set otherwise though.

As for the head unit, with the high end stuff you are using, I would check out nakamichi, mcintosh, alpine F1 or eclipse (I'd get the classic CD8053).

Last edited: May 27, 2005
  9. SloD16

SloD16 Guest

you are an idiot, 10w7's only need 500 watts a piece. the 6.5's in the door and 5.25's will sound great. A friend of mine has a similar setup but uses mb quart q series and took home 1st place in SQ at World Finals. Oh and by the way, if you are looking for a source unit, I have the Eclipse CD8053 with the balanced out 16volt adapter and an 8 disc changer for sale.

10. veonake

How much are you selling the 8053 for, pics?

11. SloD16

SloD16 Guest

i will only sell the deck with the 16 volt adapter and the changer. I won't sell it in pieces. Full retail for all of the is around $1200. I would probably take $450- $550. The changer is the oldest piece, but still works great. I don't have any pics, but i'll try to upload some tonight

12. veonake

Well, full retail was a while ago, but at first glance $450 for everything sounds reasonable. Upload some good pics (preferably at angles so that the light reflects to reveal any blemishes on the head units face). I'd also like pics showing all connections to be sure they are all in good shape and haven't been stressed. I'd assume you have taken good care of it all, since someone with an 8053 and 16volt etc. probably is serious about the hobby.

13. Ronin

Ronin Guest

hmm for some reason i was thinking the power range was different on the w7.

MB Q took first at worlds? that mustve been a killer install those arent even close to the best you can get

14. SloD16

SloD16 Guest

here's a link to that car. http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/707966/1

15. Ronin

Ronin Guest

yeah like i said, that install is pretty kick ass and flawless :bigthumb:

good installs can turn this to that, one of the nicer ones ive seen thats for sure.

16. adidas1882

ok my system now in my accord is
    alpine 7998
    i have two 500.1s
    four 10w3s
    boston pro 6.5s and eclipse pointsource in the rear
    alumapro 5 farad cap, optima battery, stock alternator
    [​IMG]

im selling that car, i found a kid with an accord that wants my fiberglass enclosure, subs the 300.4 and components

im still debating on my source unit
    im doing 6.5s in the doors
    and 5's in the kick panels which needs to be built
    how is doing both a bad idea? with an extra component set
    ill be getting another set of tweeters...
    as long as i can get everthing adjusted correctly, i should be fine and it will be screaming
    im debating on doing fiberglass door panel inserts so the speakears point at me

according to jls website a 500.1 is recommended for the w7s

lets not say how im getting these prices
    but im only paying $400 for my w7s
    375 for my components
    another 500.1 for $300
    and the two 300.2s for $300 each
    so im not really stessing

farad caps: everyone i know uses them
    ive also heard u can get your alternator "rewound" but i dont know anyone that has actually had this done

thats it for now

17. adidas1882

[​IMG]

something similar to this
    but i want the midranges angled up towards me

18. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i just dont see the point in doing 6.5s and 5.25s when you could just spend money on a good 3-way system. :dunno:

ie 7 inch, 3 or 4 inch, then the tweeter.

Capacitors have one quality that the audo community likes: fast discharge. A capacitor is similar to a battery; they don't make power, they store it. A capacitor holds a large jolt of power on tap and can dump it into the amplifier when a hard bass hit comes about. Then the capacitor slowly (it's actually quite fast but much slower than the discharge rate) charges back up and sits waiting for another surge in demand. If your headlights slightly dim ONLY on big bass hits or if your big bass hits seem a little mushy but you have NO OTHER POWER PROBLEMS, you will find a benefit with using a capacitor.

Side note on alternators:
    After you figured 60% of your system's demand above, add about 30-50amps (depending on need here, these are not concrete numbers) and that's what your alternator needs to produce to keep up with your system. If you don't have enough alternator, you are taking it out of the battery and you'll end up stranded somewhere.

If your alternator does not produce more power than the sum of the electrical systems in your car demand, you will hate life. Either upgrade the alternator or downgrade the system. You can't fly without wings.

The discharge time for a 1 farad cap at 1000 watts is like .01 seconds, they only help when you got alot of them and only in very limited situations...
    example.... Competition Soundworks in so cal....12 jl audio 12w6s, 6 PPI amps, 10 optimas, 168 db and not a single cap

back to the component thing: if u got 2 sets of components what would be the benefits of running pretty much the same tweeter? some CDT eurusport 07 set ups have 2 tweeters but one is designed to handle ultra frequencies extending the range of the system incredibly high, to like 33khz

having speakers close in size by about 1 inch isnt going to widen out the clarity of ur system

like in a normal 3-way system you will usually find a mid range 4 inch speaker, these will handle the middle of the frequncies

the smaller speaker will handle better as opposed to a larger harder to move as fast speaker, the smller the speaker the faster it will move aka a higher frequency, thus using something smaller than a 5.25 would seem practical.

that should take care of most issues on my end :wiggle:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2005
  19. adidas1882

i wasnt disputing you
    i just wanted some reasoning which you have provided

thank you very much(no scarcasm)

20. Ronin

Ronin Guest

its ok, i googled most of that stuff :), i knew there were reasons, just had to find them, no reason to have u spending more money than u need, thats a pet peeve, to see people spend too much money

and sorry for that horrible grammar in the last paragraph :ugh: