Car audio for a SMALL truck

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ingen, Aug 10, 2006.

1. Ingen

Ingen New Member

I need your help :( Please read.

Alright, so I got a kenwood deck or my truck. I drive a 1991 toyota pickup bench seat 4cyl, which is probably one of the smallest trucks on the road these days. There is zero room behind the seats - as i found out when my kenwood 6x9's wouldn't fit. The truck was 500 dollars, so i'm definitely on a budget. I'm taking back the 6x9's and their enclosures in favor of a set of 5 1/4" speakers of some kind or another, which i hope (HOPE) to mount in the dash.

Which brings me back to the original problem... bass. I wanted the 6x9's to have some, but since they're totally impractical (there is NO possible way to drive the truck with them behind the seat, and nowhere else to put them) they're going back. The 5 1/4's probably won't have much, i don't think... but then again, it's only like a 40 cubic foot space to fill with sound. I'm not gonna lie, i don't know shit about car audio, at all. As an idiot, i was hoping that the smart people of OT could help. Please?

What do I do about bass? I'll have... very little money to spend on it, but I can build an amplifier myself rather than buy one. Thx.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

if u dont know shit about car audio how r u going to build an amp?

as far as bass goes i wouldnt know where to begin without looking inside your truck but you are most likely fucked

3. johnson

johnson New Member

Can you somehow swap in bucket seats from another truck? I had a 91 S10 with bench seat and I could fit a 10" in a slant box from behind.

4. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I have an IDQ 10 behind the seat of my Toyota. I fit comfortably and I'm 5'11".

JL makes a couple of preloaded truck enclosures that should fit fine. They used to make a Stealthbox too, but its been discontinued for a while.

The dash speakers are 4". Shallow 6.5's will fit in the doors with a little work.

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

Go for a nice set of 5 1/4 comps and a four channel amp (~200 watts total). Then go for a custom console/sub box with a single 8" (10" if you can do it with enough airspace)in the middle of the transmission hump (if you have an auto with column shift. if not the :o ) That's about the best setup i can think of.

edit: you would power the comps off of the front channels and bridge the rears on the sub.

6. Ingen

Ingen New Member

This was the idea i had too, and i'm probably going to a junkyard soon to doa little bucket-hunting :) It would make life MUCH easier, and I would probably be more comfortable. In all seriousness though, it's possible that i drive one of the smallest pickups ever made :hsd:
    a signal amplifier is more circuit board than car audio, i think. I can probably get away with one with the proper terminals wired in.

7. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

The mid-late nineties Rangers have less room than Toyota Pickups. It is entirely possible to put a subwoofer behind the seat of a Toyota Pickup

You wont be able to build a car amp for less than you could find a pretty nice used one or a decent but cheap new one for.

8. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

do an eight glassed into the passenger foot well.

9. Ingen

Ingen New Member

Well.. I really can't figure out how. Enlighten me? it's a pysics thing, as far as i know. I can't drive my truck without the seat all the way back, i'm too tall.

IF there's a way to fit it, i'd love to though :)

10. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

It would have helped to mention that earlier. You might still be able to get a shallow 8 or 2 back there with some glasswork. I'd go measure on my truck, but I cant get my seat back any farther than 2 clicks from all the way back anymore.

I'd go this route.

11. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

the new pioneer subs only need .25 ft3 ...the sub itself is maybe 3" deep

might be something worth looking at.

12. Ronin

Ronin Guest

cut a hole in ur roof and mount it there

13. Ingen

Ingen New Member

Sounds pretty damn cool, i'll google it now :bigthumb:

While i'm doing so... otherppl with advice are more than welcome to join in!

14. keleko

keleko yes, he is

i bought a new '93 ford ranger back in teh day

slowly started upgrading the audio stuff, until it got to the point where some of the shops were telling me i should compete - which i had never heard of before

long story short = won everything in my class in the northeast and got invites to nationals, but by that time i knew if i went, i'd get spanked by those who spent even more time and money

$13000 truck
    $17500 sound system

q-forms in the kicks for a 5 1/4"/tweet, tweets in the a pillars, ripped out the dash and put a 4" in the center vent (fired up to the windshield as center channel), cut the 60/40 split bucketbench in half so there were just 2 buckets and built a custom carpeted box to hold a 10" woofer - which was face down firing at the trans tunnel right up next to the firewall and a port out the back end firing at the back wall of the cab, compartment over/part of the box held 2 amps - one for front, one for subs
    dynamat over *everything* inside doors, inside of the outerskin of the doors, roof, back wall, floor, and firewall
    fuse blocks and ground blocks displayed where the stock rear speakers would have been
    mounted the radio about 1" deeper than normal and put a fake faceplate from a stock radio to hide it
    220amp alt. from a cop car replaced stock and a 1 farad cap under the driver's seat

looking inside, you would only see a large center console, you wouldn't have any idea what was really in there

138dB FTW :big grin:

15. keleko

keleko yes, he is

subs behind the seats never worked well in competition

and you simply do not build your own car amps
    99.99999% of ppl out there just don't have the know how or skill

16. keleko

keleko yes, he is

too expensive, even today

you can get a custom one for less cost

17. Ingen

Ingen New Member

I'm wondering... if i went with one of the pioneer 8" low-profile subs (or a 10, because apparently they cost half as much on any site on froogle), like so:
    http://www.thetwistergroup.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=TS-SW2541D%20N01661&source=fr

I'm curious as to what sort of amplifier i would need - if i bought one rather than tried to build one (I have an electrical engineer on my side, so we might actually make that work). Basically what's the cheapest i could get and still have pretty decent sound. Remember, the truck is tiny, and i don't wanna shake the whole damn neighborhood, so i don't need 40KW here :)

and thanks!

18. Ronin

Ronin Guest

bs on 17 grand

19. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Maybe so, but we arent talking about building a competition setup though.

For a guy who seems worried about keeping cost down its the easiest solution. I wish I could spend the money to put bucket seats in my truck and do a console.

For an amp, any decent 50Wx4 would be great. Run the speakers on the front 2 channels and the sub off the rear two bridged.

20. keleko

keleko yes, he is

i happen to have a rockford fosgate 240x4 old-skool amp sitting here
    it's had roughly 1 hour of use in it's life

it would do you pretty good for what you want

21. keleko

keleko yes, he is

no joke :wtc:

22. rebs

rebs shares AIDS OT Supporter

wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much for wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too little:o

23. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

he also bought that shit back in the day according to him.....so he could have a big chunk of that money tied up in expensive equipment. shit was a lot higher back then.

and to threadstarter: a 200-300 watt 4 channel should be fine for what you're doing

24. keleko

keleko yes, he is

i'm adding up all the parts i put into it over the course of competition of several years

25. keleko

keleko yes, he is

:werd:

and the amps i bought then are STILL fucking powerhouses now and STILL outlast any crap built today