Car Audio Folks - Help me pick some components!!!! :x:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Capt. Hammer, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Capt. Hammer

Capt. Hammer PM me for rates on express consent. OT Supporter

I'm a complete car audio noob. The system I had picked out apparently sucked terribly, so I figure that alot of OTer's are more knowledgeable about this stuff than myself.

I know different subs sound different, depending on the size/wattage/etc.. so the things that are important to know-

I drive a 2004 Grand Prix GT1, I'm not sure if that's important :hs:

I listen to primarily R&B, Rap, and Techno.

Also, my car has fold-down backseats, which allow me to store oversized items. I'm not sure if I can have a custom box built for my trunk that would still allow me to take advantage of this, or if I'd just be better off with a single sub.

I have a budget of $650.00 to spend on sub(s), an amp, and a headunit.

Help a brotha out :x:

2. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

You could probally get a JL 12w3 or w with a JL 250/1 amp, and a decent head unit for that much, or if you have a friend that wors at best buy/ circut shitty, get them to buy you some Alpine stuff, and it would save you some cash. I wouldn't add a sub to a stock car though, but thats just me.

3. Capt. Hammer

Capt. Hammer PM me for rates on express consent. OT Supporter

....what else are you supposed to add a sub to?

A car you built yourself? :hsugh:

4. Ronin

Ronin Guest

hes referring to the fact u dont have other upgraded components ie speakers, or atleast im assuming so

as far as a sub you can go with quite a few things, since you listen to rap you probably want something that can go pretty low and get generally loud and do this on a budget. Get a 12 or 15 with stuff like rap you dont need perfect sound quality, its generally extended beefy tones. A 12-inch sub is my suggestion.

Budget subs that come to mind can be located at these locations:

www.elementaldesigns.com

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=23&mfg_account_ID=6&sort=account_name

If you can find an Adire Audio Shiva than thats another low cost option people are generally happy with.

I've also heard people liking Alpine Type-Rs, you can get them for super cheap off ebay, I suggest listening to them first though and they are very easy to find if you want to audition them.

I also suggest the Image Dynamics IDQ12. 200 dollars or under and a very good sub. Check for them on ebay or other online dealers.