Car Audio crew v.opinions on new speakers and HU

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Eggnog, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Eggnog

Eggnog New Member

Just ordered a new head unit and speakers for my car from Crutchfield yesterday and I know there will be no compatibility problems and I'm getting all the features I want (especially from the new receiver), etc but I just wanted to know what you guys think about it.

[​IMG]

Links:

Receiver
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDS100/JVC-KD-S100.html
    Rear Deck speakers
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB651S/Polk-Audio-db651s.html
    Front Door speakers
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086022SI/Infinity-Reference-6022si.html

I would have gotten two pairs of the Infinity Reference speakers but they wouldn't have fit in the rear deck (too shallow iirc)

so? :dunno:

2. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

Here's the only concern I would have. The 6.5 infinity speakers are 2 ohm. The specs on your H/U doesn't mention the receiver is 2 ohm compatible.

I'd be concerned of possibly burning out the receivers front two channels.

Call Crutchfield and verify they're a good match. There pretty good about giving out good info.

I've always made sure if I've powered speakers off of a deck, that they're 4 ohm.

Better safe than sorry.

3. Eggnog

Eggnog New Member

I called my advisor guy from Crutchfield that I talked to last time before I made the order and told him what you said and he said I'll be totally fine. Also said that it's really just advertising and that a lot of speakers (these ones, at least) are usually rated about 2 ohms higher than advertised in the specs :dunno:

If it gives me any problems this will be the first thing I check out.

I've also gotten some flak from other friends/forums about the JVC receiver where as they all prefer/worship Alpine or Pioneer, etc. But the JVC really has all the stuff I need and the Bongiovi thing sounds like it might work pretty well from reviews I've read, so I don't see why I should have picked a different one.
    Any opinion on the receiver?

4. BoomBoomBoy

BoomBoomBoy Guest

I really don't have any opinion on JVC. I'm one of those Alpine fanboys....lol

I'm sure you'll be fine. Maybe Google your model and see if you find anything about yours.

5. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

did you see my post on NN?

6. Eggnog

Eggnog New Member

yeah dude thanks for the schooling :h5:
    kind of a car audio noob :hs:

7. lawngn0me

lawngn0me In every wish and dream and happy home, you will f

I'm not really a fan of JVC audio equipment. I've used some of it in the past and it's been junk to me. Granted, I haven't used any of their newer stuff so I can't comment on that. Pioneer does give the best bang for the buck though, IMO.

8. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Why are you getting 2 different kinds of speakers? I would keep them all the same. I also don't see why the infinitys would be too shallow, if for some odd reason they are then get these http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086022I/Infinity-Reference-6022i.html?search=infinity+reference&ssi=0, the same series infinity speaker just not shallow mount. Or get another set of polk.

I would call Infinity and ask them about the ohm rating, I would think at high volume you might have some issues powering these off a deck possibly even wrecking the internal amplifier.

9. unorthadox

unorthadox New Member

I just had the JVC KD-R800 installed and am loving it so far. I'm sure you'll love your HU too. For the price point, it wasn't worth it for me to go for the $249 + parts/labor for the Pioneer when I could get the JVC for $199 + 50% labor.

Bluetooth + iPod + CD/FM/AM = all I'll ever need.

10. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

why would you get two different sets of speakers even though they are the same size and same type?

11. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

The reason they like Pioneer and Alpine etc is because they have a higher RMS Watt per driver. Features are fine.