Car audio crew: Looking for recommendations.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by grue, Jan 16, 2007.

1. grue

grue New Member

I'm going to be buying an MR2, and apparently the stock audio system is pretty miserable.

I don't need something super high powered, and in a small car with a fair bit of road noise, I don't need supermegaelite top end stuff. I'm mainly just looking for something "decent-to-nice".

After some quick research, people seem to think the rear fill speakers aren't worth the effort or money in such a small cabin, so I need the following:

Head unit: Single or double-DIN. Needs to be iPod compatible, and not flashy-looking with tons of lights all over the place. I'm STRONGLY leaning towards the Sony MEX-BT5000 for the Bluetooth compatibility, unless there's a compelling reason not to get it.

Woofers (2) 5.25" usually fits, "some" 6.5" apparently do.

Tweeters (2)

Realistically, I want to avoid a sub because of cabin and cargo space issues, and thusly the woofers need to have a decent range, and I doubt I'm going to need so much power that an external amp would be necessary.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  2. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

ok, so you have your head unit, now some 5.25s, 8" sub and 4 ch amp. you don't want to spend tons on super high end stuff? how about this....some Kicker KS 5.25 comps, a Kicker comp 8" and a ZX200.4 to power it all.

if you want components, then yes you'll need an amp. if you don't want comps, then there was no reason for this thread was there? :p

3. grue

grue New Member

If I absolutely HAVE to, I'll get an amp, but considering there's already an amp in the head unit, I may as well use that since I'm not going to be trying to rattle windows a block away. Also, I don't want to sacrifice the room needed for a sub, which is why I need to make sure the woofers have a recent range.

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i think you have a misconception about car audio. just because you add an amp, it doesn't mean you are trying to rattle windows a mile away.

think about it this way: cram an amp, a tuner, a CD player, ipod processing, bluetooth, sound eq, RCA outputs, aux inputs, and detachable face into a cigar box. now that's a lot in one package, but how efficient is everything? well, CD player is gonna take up a lot of room. the ipod, BT, and EQ are on a couple of simple chipsets, as is the tuner. but you have to have room to plug stuff in, right? even more room taken up. Now tell me, where in there does a 50x4 amp fit? look at any 50x4 ch amp and see if it is just slightly larger than a cigar box. is it? yes it is.

you want to power comps. if you want them to acheive anywhere near their potential, you'll need a dedicated amp to give them the power they need/deserve.

now, on to the sub. I recommended 1 8" sub. hold your palm out, then add an inch. that's about the size of the speaker cone. eight inches. this will require at most about .5ft^3 sealed enclosure, which most simply would measure 12x12x6 in. not going to take up that much room. and if you have a shop do the work for you, they #1 might recommend a different sub, which is fine, #2 be more creative at finding .5ft^3 of airspace for the sub than 12x12x6....i'm just using those numbers so you have an idea of how big half a cubic foot is. just playing with some numbers, i've come up with a box 24x9x4. this could fit right behind the seat with minimal invasion (i think)

look at it like this, i'm sure you have some decent PC speakers (because you're posting on OT, we all have the best in PC tech, right?). I'm assuming they came with a sub. and if you turned the sub all the way down, the regular speakers sound like crap right? cause there is no bass. it's the same way in a car. don't immediatly equate sub in car with ngaz ridn duuurrrtttaaayyy. it can complete the sound in your car just like home theater or PC.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  5. johnson

johnson New Member

budget

6. xivera

xivera Active Member

Dude, an old friend of mine put in 2 8" subs behind the seats in his MR2. We put an ED amp underneath the passenger's seat.

7. grue

grue New Member

Your friend probably isn't 6'4" in shoes.

Furthermore, if I've got subs behind the seats, where am I going to put the t-tops?

8. grue

grue New Member

I'm not completely incompetent, I'm just realistic. As for the computer speakers, I actually pipe from my optical output to a Yamaha receiver, and Klipsch speakers. They've got a good enough range so I only turn on the sub for watching movies. Furthermore, my apartment doesn't move, so I don't have wind and road noise intruding on it, so I didn't mind springing for good gear.

If I ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO, I'll get an external amp, but I'd like to avoid it because with road and wind noise, I honestly doubt I'm going to notice much of a difference. Furthermore, it just adds that much more wiring I have to do, and adds that much more money into the equation. But just for the sake of argument, fuck it, suggest an amp. Nothing fancy.

yes, I could fit a subwoofer in the car without sacrificing a lot of room, in an MR2 with a driver my size, you don't have any room to sacrifice really. I can't put it behind hte seats, because then the seats won't go all the way back, and I won't have room for the t-tops. I can't put it in either of the trunks, because I need the cargo room.

In any case, my last car had no sub and was fine. It wasn't anywhere near "competition grade" like some people seem to need, but it did the job. I've got fairly sensitive ears when it comes to loud music, so I rarely turn the music up very high.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  9. grue

grue New Member

The head unit has an MSRP of $400, but I'm sure I can get that for less. I'd "like" to spend less than $300 on the rest of it if possible (or like $400-450 with an amp), but I'm not sure if I can get a decent pair of woofers and tweeters for that. My car audio knowledge in terms of brands and prices is, at best, low. I know home audio stuff way more, and my boofshelfs retail for about $350/pr :dunno: