Car Audio Crew: Is this any good?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Soulfire, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Soulfire

Soulfire No Pain, No Gain

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Pyle is definately lower end stuff, and it seems the power ratings are highly over rated

3. Soulfire

ehh. oh well. better than the fuck shit built in deck amps that im using.

4. redneck2725

redneck2725 New Member

Pyle is some really crappy stuff. Not trying to be hard on you, but i would take it back to who gave it to you and smash it over their head.

5. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

It's not spectacular gear, no...but it'll still beat the snot out of any head unit amp :ugh:

6. Soulfire

yeah guys im not looking for amazing sounding. just something better than a deck amp to get me by with some decent volume and a nicer sub which i will buy

7. eighteen_psi

Breaking things down further:

I've seen a whole ton of really cheep, really cheezy amps with all the installs and upgrades I've done. I've also seen lots of high(ish) end heads that insist they have some new, ubercool way of producing power from nowhere. A standalone amp with a switching power supply can produce more power, more cleanly, and have a ton more headroom than something crammed into a DIN with no room for a worthwhile power supply or heatsink. Even if it’s a cheep one.

Does it make 1400W? Maybe if you shoehorn a 1.21 jiggawatt lightning bolt into it for power...and maybe for 0.1ms before it blows up. And only then if the moon is in the 73rd phase of the 10th lunar cycle and it's a day ending in something other than 'y'.

What exactly can it make? Well...I'm seeing specs for a max of 30A current draw. If that's true, that means with a solid 14V input (best case scenario here) it can produce a maximum of 420W if the amp was 100% efficient. It's not...even the best class D's are only 65-70% efficient under ideal conditions. I'll be nice and call it 40%. That makes 168W RMS to divide amonst the channels however it sees fit. Is that a lot of power...no. It is, however, a lot more than the 50W or so a head will make (in total) under the same best-case conditions...and it'll do it with far more headroom and probably less distortion.

I'd plan for an upgrade if it were me...but i certainly wouldn't toss it for head power. And I wouldn’t be an ungrateful fuck like redneck either :rofl:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2005
  8. redneck2725

redneck2725 New Member

I feel if someone gave me crappy audio equipment, i would think they hated me and wanted me to DIAF when the amp blew up:noes:

9. eighteen_psi

:bigthumb:

10. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Keep the gain down and it should do fine.

Not all crappy amps blow up. There is a 6 y/o Jensen in my mom's truck that kicks the shit out of the head unit amp daily.