Car Audio Buffs..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Japs4eva, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Japs4eva

Japs4eva Guest

I need a new set of compnents.. i guess tweeters+6.5's for my GTI... they'll be powered by my headunit, a Pioneer 3500 mp3 player which is 50x4.. i dont wanna get a seperate amp for these, but mine crackle and shit, crappy vw speakers.. what do you suggest? I dont wanna win competitions, but i want to improve my sound, i have an infinity basslink which is good enough bass for now, and i'll replace the other set of components w/ the same you guys suggest further down the line when i get more money.. thanks

2. Japs4eva

Japs4eva Guest

3. How much.

4. Japs4eva

Japs4eva Guest

umm.. etronics has damn good prices.. so usually 130$ at bestbuy or circuit is 75-85 on there, that's the range i'm lookin for

5. Japs4eva

Japs4eva Guest

6. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Most car audio guys on here will dissagree with me but IMO if you are going to run only 25RMS I'd go with a set of pioneer 3ways. They don't have the clarity that a component system has but they sound nice enouph if you're going to upgrade later.

I'd put my money on something like this. :dunno:

http://www.pioneer.com.sg/products/ca_speakers/ts_a6970e.asp

yea, I just remembered (and reread your post and saw you wanted components) that i've seen those doors and you basically gotta have components.

What's your price range?

http://www.pioneer.com.sg/products/ca_pcss/ca_pcss.asp
    (I'm a pioneer fan)

7. 95YJ

95YJ Guest

get some sparco's

8. Blackz28

Blackz28 OT Supporter

pioneers, alpine, etc. They'll all sound pretty much the same with just head unit power, and that low of a budget

9. MB Quartz

10. Blackz28

Blackz28 OT Supporter

just go to best buy or something and listen to em, pick what you think sounds the best to you, then find em online for a lot cheaper

11. Japs4eva

Japs4eva Guest

will the HU be strong enough to power a component set?

12. On_One

On_One Guest

With only 20 or so watts RMS (even thats a stretch) i would not suggest a component set. I'd either spring for another amp or go with a decent set of 2 way coax's. (3 way's = :down: )

13. Blackz28

Blackz28 OT Supporter

no, don't bother with components unless you plan on getting a seperate amp. 2ways are prolly your best bet

14. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Why do people buy componenets and run them off the head unit :uh:

If you dont want to amp I wouldnt bother with components get a set of 2 way speakers for up front.

15. Japs4eva

Japs4eva Guest

how strong of an amp would i need? i dont wanna be broke as a joke, but music is big for me.. so i want it to sound good.. nice av btw, blackz28

16. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Good call there budo but its 20-25 RMS and 50watt/channel so he should be able to find some type of 2/way that would work for him.

I agree with you though. I'd find some cheap components and throw a cheap amp in there. It's the only sure-fire way to get good sound w/o distortion, but if he doesn't want to pay for a shop to do an install he's stuck with just getting a couple speakers that run within the power range of his HU.:o

17. On_One

On_One Guest

Bench test it in a real life situation and i assure you it will struggle to produce 20 w RMS.

18. Japs4eva

Japs4eva Guest

i can do the install myself..

19. Blackz28

Blackz28 OT Supporter

head units don't produce anywhere near what they say. Your lucky to get 10-20 rms out of it

Here's what i would recommend. Get an amp with 50-100 per channel. Get a nice component set for up front, and if you really want rear fill, then get some cheapy speakers from BB and hook em up to the head unit

20. Blackz28

Blackz28 OT Supporter

oh, and keep in mind you gotta figure wires into your budget if you go with an external amp

21. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter

Boy, your doing a great job of nit-picking my posts but from what I've heard (though I'll err on your side) is that Pioneer HU's do some of the best jobs in creating what they are advertizes as when compared to other HU's. :)

22. Japs4eva

Japs4eva Guest

23. On_One

On_One Guest

Nope just thinking realistically. ;)

Go get an external 25 w amp and compare it to a 25 w HU amp. Output and clarity will be worlds apart.

24. On_One

On_One Guest

25. Mycophiles

Mycophiles OT Supporter