Car Audio Box Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rebel, Jan 1, 2005.

1. rebel

rebel Manchester United > All

My (2) 2005 Model Solo-Baric Kicker L5 12" Subwoofers came in the mail yesterday. Time to buy a box. My friend has an old box he used to use for his L7's that he does use anymore that he will sell me for 125. It's a good sized box (not sure how big exactly) It is ported, black carpet. On one side it has 2 plexiglass cutouts to where you can see inside the box. The thing that makes the airflow go to the port in the inside is also plexiglass. Now my question is, do I buy this box for my L5's, or do I spend 150-200 getting just a regular ported box. Again, I know nothing about box tuneing or any of that.

2. Original

Original OT Supporter

If the old box was professionally made.. meaning he didn't build it himself, I see no reason in why not just buying those.

If everything is nice and sturdy then there shouldn't be any problems with the box.

3. delussional77

delussional77 Active Member

building a box is not that difficult it just takes some time to learn. If you do not want to build it yourself then do what kberkel said and make sure it was professionaly built. It should be at least 3/4 thick, if not more. If it's pre-fab then stay away from it. Pre-fab boxes have terrible support, flex often, and usually have bad seals.

4. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

then you're just seeing junk(wal-mart), because there are a few prefab companies that do it right that i know of.

5. delussional77

i was speaking of the usual pre-fab boxes, but i still stand by what i've said. I've been building custom boxes for years and have been around long enough in the car audio scene to know that you will always be able to do better with a custom built then a pre-fab. I've pointed out the main reasons but let me give you the biggest. Typically the pre-fab box builders will not use MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard), but rather particle board. Although particle board is sturdy it's not up to the challenge of keeping things air-tight, which is a huge problem for sealed boxes, and a common nuisance for ported boxes. Ever hear those tin like sounds coming from the sub area...that's more then likely because of a leaky particle board.

If you are getting a box that is made with MDF then I do not consider it to be pre-fab. Two 15" Solo-baric's will tear a normal pre-fab box apart.

6. twistid

only prefabs i've seen in the past few years still using partical instead of mdf is walmart boxes. we see a lot of them at the shop i work for, but stick with the same 3.

7. delussional77

alot of the e-bay stuff is still particle board, and i even catch a few local indiana shops doing it too (i thinky they are actually taking the pre-fab boxes they get from these e-bay shops and recovering them...vinyl, carpet, fiberglass...etc). But Rebel, if the price is right and you aren't 100% concerned with the turning/quality of the box then i say go for it. Since it was built for Solo-baric's in mind and also because it does seem to be pretty custom (plexi and all), it could very well already be a custom box.

8. rebel

rebel Manchester United > All

Yea its a custom box he had it made for him. He paid somewhere in the 400 dollar range for it. So you guys think I should go for it? Plexiglass doesn't affect the sound right?

9. delussional77

not unless it's really thin and resonates...if it's like 1/4" thick or greater you'll be fine.

10. twistid

another reason not to buy off the interweb. :o

11. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

i build boxes for cheap if youre interested, PM me for sample work..