Car Audio: Best 10" sub on the market today?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by psykosis, Feb 8, 2005.

1. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste

I'm looking to pick up one 10" sub (may consider 12", but I prefer the size of a 10", as well as less distortion over a similar 12") for my car. SQ is most important. SPL takes a back seat, but I will not forsake it totally. Right now I'm leaning towards an IDMAX 10, or maybe a 10w7.

What other subs should I look into. I'm most interest in companies not typically mentioned (no Kicker, Earthquake, etc). I'd like to look into companies like Adire (?sp) that makes the Bramha line, and other companies like that.

Make your suggestions, but please defend your selection. Your input WILL influence my sub choice. :noes:

:wiggle:

2. 04

04 Guest

A 12" woofer doesnt have any more distortion than a 10" all other factors equal. So I wouldnt base your decision on that.

What sized enclosure can you have, and how much is the maximum that you want to spend?

If sound quality is your main goal, then i'd say a larger sized sealed box would be the best choice, depending on the woofer you choose.

3. psykosis

I'd design the enclosure to fit the sub, but something around 1ft3 to 1.5ft3 would be optimal. I prefer the tightness a smaller box creates (in my experience anyway). It won't be ported or bandpass. Most likely it will be mounted to my back deck with the box beneath. This gives me the ability to keep the floor of my trunk open and wont seal off my pass-thru seats. This is also why I am looking at a 10" sub. Cost is anywhere up to $300, but I don't mind buying off of ebay to get a better deal (ie IDMAX10 for about $240, etc.) Also, I will match an amp to the sub, not a sub to an amp, so I'm not too concerned about power ratings. Chances are however that it will end up being a PPI A600 Art Series amp, so something that performs well with 500-600 watts would be good...

4. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Can you get a 10w7 for $300? If not, look at the 10w6v2. I'm really thinking about that one to replace my 12w3v2.

5. psykosis

I'll look into it, but I'd like some options that I don't have locally, so i need OT's opinions on other, lesser known subs.

But I will admit the W7 is badass. I don't know if I would choose it over a IDMAX though...

6. Metalifann

Metalifann The Minivan Can Nevar Lose! OT Supporter

I had a 10w7 in my camaro and it sounded good and clean (that is until my JL 500/1 amp took a shit and JL took fuckin forever to fix it).

7. lemans23

lemans23 PV - The Vision of Sound

over at caraudio.com, this topic is often talked about, and there is always the same answer. THERE IS NO BEST. what sounds good to u, may not sound good to someone else. www.reaudio.com take a look around. i'm running a sx with a pg 1400.1 and hit 143 dbs in 3.2 cubes

8. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

I'm actually planning on getting a 10in Brahma this summer. :hsd:

9. denim

denim New Member

actually before you drop money on the W7 or RE XXX look at this review comparing the SoundSplinter RL-p 12 vs. the RE XXX 12

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2234

after reading the review, I personaly would run the Soundsplinter, near identical performance for nearly a 2 to 1 price ratio, thats more than enough reason for me, I also am a fan of my Orion H2, not to mention the Stereo Integrity D2 will be back on the market very soon, the prototypes are out see here >>

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2344

the Stereo Integrity D2 is a great choice with a lower price than the RE XXX and W7, I am not downing either the RE or JL, but if you dont want to spend lots of $$$ and want top end performance that not everyone out there is running the SoundSplinter and Stereo Integrity are a nice option, (sorry I gotta root for the little companies that make a great product)

10. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

11. btimp

btimp i am my other half

i really enjoyed my old boston acoustic's. they did the job nicely. good clean sound and require very little airspace.

12. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

JL Audio. Period!

I do have kicker CompVR's (2x12) which is comprable to a JL 12w3, but those w7's will kick the shitt out of you!

13. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

I was going to post the same thread today.

in for replies.

14. Ronin

Ronin Guest

why dont u just use the search feature, this thread is no different than the million before it, ull always get the same answers, XXX w7, IDMAX, Brahma, etc, just pick what fits ur budget and what meets ur needs instead of wasting peoples time getting them to respond to a useless thread.

15. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

Cause you are OBVIOUSLY so busy you don't have time to help the thread, but plenty of time to rant and rave. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

16. Ronin

Ronin Guest

congratulations, you are a moron.

17. denim

denim New Member

I would also consider the Eclipse Aluminum 10"