car audio amp switch hookup help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by popsnbeer, Mar 27, 2007.

1. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

Okay guys......I need to have this running perfect no later than two weeks for a parade I am participating in.

I have had an amp and two 10in subs running for about two months now. I take the subs out around every week or two to transport my dogs.

The weird thing about this is that instead of running a remote from the deck I have set up a toggle switch by my foot b/c I found out that my vehicle does not have remote wires running to the deck (2006 dodge dakota).

Anyways up until about a week ago this setup was working great. Then the subs seemed like they were lacking power...but my switch LED was on so I know the signal was at least getting to the amp. I switched out the wires and the switch but have not remedied the situation.

OT any clues on what could have happened?? I'm going to borrow a amp from a friend to see if that is the problem but please help me through this.

Cliffs: Stock factory deck, used converter to get RCA plugs to amp. Switch for remote power no longer functions. Is it my amp? This setup used to work for about 2 months.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Even any diagnostic help would be awesome. Thanks guys :x:

2. Create

Create :free at last:

Sounds like a physical connection issue.

Check RTO switch wiring. Replace RTO switch. Check wiring between sub box terminals and speaker. Check connectivity in wire between RTO switch and amp.

You could start tshooting in the middle if you have the tools.

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

jump a wire from the amp's 12v+ input and see if you still have the problem. if you don't, then your problem is in the wire. if not, it's elsewhere.

4. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

okay...i checked the wiring behind the switch and made sure the connections were fit good. I recut, spliced, and crimped new fitting onto the ends to be sure. Still nothing on the switch indicating that there is power going to it, or on the amp.

I'm going to check the load wire from the switch to the amp today and see if there is any cut in the wire, grounding it out or something :dunno: I'm not an electrical genius here :(

5. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

o and I also purchased a different switch to see if that was the problem, still nothing.

6. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

Your radio may not have a dedicated remote on switch. But you can use your accessory wire to turn it on. I do know some Durangos have factory amplifiers which you can tap in to to get your remote source.

Do this quick test. Jump a wire from your remote to 12v on the amp. See if it'll try to turn on

7. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

OK guys.......tshooting works wonders :) I found the remote power issue all the way up to the battery. The attachment I used to hold it onto the terminal had corroded. Threw a new one on there and bam works like a charm. Thanks for all your guys help.