car amps keep going into self protect mode

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hedge, Jan 21, 2008.

1. hedge

hedge New Member

hey, this is my first post here, but ive been reading stuff for about a month or so. Ive always had two twelve inch IMPP's with their own amp. Recently i sold one of the subs with the box and bough two brand new twelve inche subs and a decent amp with a new duel box. I hooked them up last night but didnt test them because i had to go to work, so i went to try them today, and i didnt get any sounds from the two new subs. I checked all connections before i realised that the red light for self protect mode was light up, on the new amp. So i thought great, i bought a broken amp, so i tried the other amp that has always been in the car and was able to get sound from both subs. I decided to put in my old amp that use to run the IMPP that i sold, and now it is in the self protect mode. The wireing has to be good, i know that old amp is still good. So im pretty lost at what this could be, Would it be possible for the self protect mode to come of if i dont have enough power to run all of the subs? Ive got a cap, but i dont want to put it it right now because my car is about to get fixxed because someone ran into the back of it haha. So do any of you have any ideas that i could look for? thanks alot.

2. tjamz

tjamz New Member

wired the subs at too low of impedance? shorted a wire somewhere? That is where I'd start looking for problems.

3. hedge

hedge New Member

I went out and checked for a short, and tried them again. The amp and sub will work for about 5 seconds before turning to protect mode, the same thing is happening with the old amp that has always worked.

4. tjamz

tjamz New Member

Did you put an ohm meter across the speakers to ensure that they aren't blown/shorting?

5. phyphoestilic

phyphoestilic New Member

sounds like u might have the gains and/or Bass boost set too high. Does it go into protect even at very very low volumes or only when u start to turn it up.

6. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

ground ok?

7. tjamz

tjamz New Member

ok...easy way to find out if its the amp:

Unhook the speaker wires from the amp terminals. If it still goes into protect, its the amp (or maybe the RCA's leading into the amp...maybe). If it doesn't it is either the speakers, the speaker wires, or the terminal cup for the subs. It could be a bad ground as suggested above as well, but I'd hope you can diagnose that on your own.

8. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

id bet on different impedance ratings on the new subs